Phil L
2004-11-17T15:25:00Z
Has anyone a recommended method to step their mast successfully without the assistance of a crane?

I am considering purchase of a Superseal and notice that there are at least 3 variants of meast heel/tabernacle to mast step arrangement - some of which look as if they would allow the mast to pivot aft whilst secured to the mast (or tabernacle where fitted) via the pin/bolt. I use a jockey pole with tackle to the stemhead on my S22 and find that an oversize "linen ptop" is needed to help take the strain when the mast is less than half up. Is this feasable with the heavier Superseal spar?

Thanks,

Phil.
Phil Longhurst
2004-11-17T15:25:00Z
Phil,
I have to lower my mast (Parker 27 No.119) every time we go out. Give me a ring on 01474 853873 and if I can help I will. Best Wishes. Royce
Royce Watchorn
2004-11-17T15:26:00Z
A few details of the mast lowering system I use.
My boat has a Z Spars mast and the heel is fixed with a single pin located towards the cockpit. I would prefer a tabernacle but get put off by the cost and complexity (because of the exit sheaves at the bottom of the mast) of changing it. So far I have used the present system for over ten years. I have to lower the mast to go down river under Rochester bridge on the Medway. I DO NOT have to lower it right down but only to an angle of between about 45 and 75 degrees from vertical (depending on the state of the tide). We are usually going for a few hours daysailing and the whole process is done whilst motoring along (I haven't found a way to keep sailing yet!). The system works just as well for unstepping the mast if required.
We have an "A" frame attached to stainless plates bolted to the toe rails, and from these plates there are two stainless supports which go to a slider on a track at the front of the mast (to provide lateral support to the mast when lowering or lifting). The forestay uses a Sea Sure qick release fitting instead of the standard bottlescrew, but it does mean I lose sail area from my roller furling gear. A multi part tackle is used from the "A" frame to the stemhead to lower or lift the mast. I find it difficult to describe the system using only words and don't think I can attach photos to this message board reply, but if anyone is interested enough to give me a ring on 01474 8853873 I will do all I can to help.
Royce Watchorn