Paul de la Feuillade
2005-08-22T13:53:00Z
Hi,

Due to building works, my sailing club (Christchurch) will not have any storage this winter, so I've been looking into the possibility of having Pelican craned into our driveway or back garden.

I have a cradle for the boat but it is very tall as it allows the keel to be fully lowered. I think the neighbours may not appreciate the view if I put her on the cradle. so I'm wondering about sitting her on a couple of railway sleepers. Does anyone have experience of doing this or anything similar? I'm presuming the boat will be OK sat on two 'beams' as this is how it sits on the cradle?

Any views/comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Paul de la Feuillade

Super Seal No. 81, Pelican.

Paul de la Feuillade

Chris Turner
2005-08-23T07:10:00Z
No problems. This is how my boat has been laid up for antifouling practically every year for the last 23 years.

The yards that have done this for me usually put some props under the gunwales for extra security ... but hardly necessary.

I've even antifouled on the beach this way with only 6 inch beams.

Chris. Elsa (26 No 103)

Chris Turner

Geoff Harwood
2005-08-24T14:10:00Z
I'm pretty sure it would be OK on sleepers. Especially if you put some wedges in each side to stop the possibility of it rocking.

Can your cradle be taken to pieces? Maybe it could be reassembled with shorter verticals so it is lower?

Geoff

Geoff Harwood

Richard Seaby
2005-08-24T20:54:00Z
I have a cradle I am not using this winter - I am coming out after the rush. If you want to borrow it, you would be welcome. It is in keyhaven at the moment. It is about 0.5 m tall.

We looked at Pelican last year - have you just brought it, or are you the chap I met when it was for sale?

Richard

Richard Seaby

Claudia Jean, SS 26 - No100, Keyhaven
Paul de la Feuillade
2005-08-25T10:56:00Z
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the offer of the cradle, that's very good of you. I'll do some measuring and see if the boat would still be below 'fence level'!

Yes, we bought Pelican at the end of 2004. I know the previous owner and saw all the work that went into her. At the time I had a Trapper TS240, which I was working on, and I kept thinking one day I want a boat like that...

We've been absolutely delighted with her. She's still at Christchurch and we mainly day sail. We have a two year old son Sam who loves sailing but doesn't really sleep much on the boat.

This summer we won our class in the Round the Island (without Sam on board!) so she goes well too!

What's the name of your boat? If we're in Keyhaven I'll look for you.

Best regards,

Paul

Paul de la Feuillade

Richard Seaby
2005-08-25T13:02:00Z
We are called Claudia Jean - we renamed her from Heydays, she was from Christchurch. We looked at pelican and could appreciate all the upgrades but we are not races so went for a more "unmodified" boat instead.

We have done a few overnights - our longest trip to date is to Poole! I am still learning the boat, we move up from a Pandora - 22 foot, To me CJ seems huge.

If you are ever down in Keyhaven look us up - we are in Mount Lake (behind the spit) along with Counter Point another ss26.

Richard Seaby

peter lowry
2005-09-01T19:02:00Z
hello all

it was a pity not to see you or counterpoint at keyhaven last weekend

we bbq at club

we are in bembridge on sat 10th and drying out near the branble bank on the 17th and a night in cowes

would be noce to meet upo with u and for u to join in a rally

see u soon

peter lowry

sailing sec

peter lowry

Richard Seaby
2005-09-02T13:19:00Z
Unfortunately it was also Milford carnival. We have met several seal

members so far but have not made a rally. We are still learning and

keeping trips fairly short at the moment.

I am sure I will be braver next year!

Richard Seaby