Richard Seaby
2005-05-11T09:07:00Z
Can you spot who has got a new boat around here? I have 4 of the last 5 questions posted on the forum - I think I might be being greedy.

Last nights problem was how to replace the out haul rope inside the boom. I can only seem to get to one end of it. It runs from the mast end over a pulley - into the body of the boom, where it seems to join a wire, which emerges out of the far end. The rope is frayed, and I would like to replace it, but I am not sure how!

I also replaced the backstay tensioner – the handbook said yes 8 m of rope – this seems like 3 m to much! It is attached to a 3.1 pulley system. Is there some reason I need this much rope. I would like to make it short enough that it cannot get into the prop if I drop it over the back.

Thanks for all your help – it is much appreciated.

Richard

Richard Seaby

Claudia Jean, SS 26 - No100, Keyhaven
frank_marsden
2005-05-11T15:49:00Z
Richard,

At a quick count, my current boat is the eleventh.

Non of these have ever had, despite much effort, a clew outhaul which could be used to adjust the sail, when led forward to the gooseneck or to the cockpit.

The problem is that the friction at the clew overcomes all efforts to adjust whilst sailing; you can usually slacken the foot tension, but not tighten it.

Therefore, questionable whether replacing the internal lines is worth the trouble.

Frank

Frank Marsden