Gilliane Sills
2010-09-06T20:06:41Z
We have a copy of the Super Seal handbook, containing extracts from the early Newsletters, in which owners shared their discoveries about their boats. I’m following these early examples by using this post to describe the method suggested to us by Tim Reeder of picking up a swinging mooring under engine. Our normal approach involves coming up to the buoy going forward, aiming to be moving very slowly just as we reach the buoy, and then to hold the boat steady on the engine until the mooring chain is made fast through the bow roller on the bow cleat. This is fine in light to medium winds, but is much more difficult in strong winds, as the bow tends to blow off as way is lost close to the buoy.

Our new approach, for use in strong winds, is to go slowly just past the buoy, then move into reverse to come up on the buoy stern first. The stern is into the wind, so the orientation is very stable with no tendency to blow off, and it’s relatively easy to pick up the buoy. We then continue motoring astern, while walking the buoy up the side of the boat until the buoy can be brought onboard through the pulpit, and the mooring chain made fast. Only then do we stop driving astern and let the boat swing through 180 degrees as she goes head to wind. We’ve done this in a Force 5, gusting 6 (albeit in fairly calm water), and it seemed very straightforward. It would, of course, be important not to motor too closely to the mooring line for fear of fouling the propeller, but this didn’t seem a problem as we had good control of position.

I imagine many people will already be familiar with this approach, but I hope it may be new, and of interest, to some. I’d very much like to hear in detail of other people’s techniques of boat handling/sailing etc, as members of the Association have so much experience, and it would be great to benefit from it.

Many thanks

Gilliane

Miss Fidget, Super Seal 26, no. 69
Delphine, Parker 275, no. 41
smiffy
2011-02-18T08:11:02Z
Hi, well I sail single handed most of the time, so don't very often have the luxury??of a foredeck crew[:)] The method I use to pick up a mooring is as follows, on my boats I always rig a block up on, or very near the stem, through that block I reeve a single line that is twice the length of the boat that goes along the side deck through stanchion fairlead blocks through the block on the stem and back to the cockpit running on the outside of the stanchions. On the end of the line I bend on a large carbineer hook, it's this hook that is the business end.

I approach the mooring very steadily, either sail or motor, the idea is to be almost stopped as the mooring pick up buoy is alongside the cockpit, I then just lean over and grab it, and attach the carbineer clip to the pick up buoy, and drop it back over the side. I then haul in on the line that is on the inside of the stanchions and the pick up buoy will be hauled up to the block on the stem, the boat is now temporarily moored.

I can then go forward in my own time and detach the carbineer clip from the pick up buoy, and haul the mooring line aboard and make fast. As I walk back to the cockpit I take the carbineer clip and line making sure that it's all outside the stanchions, and clip the carbineer clip back on the pushpit stanchion, tighten up the inside line a bit and make the end fast. Job done.

I hope I have explained that properly, but like a lot of these things, it's a lot easier to do than to describe.

Cheers, Ray.

Seal 22 MK3 "Morveren" ex "Mellisa" ex "Sachi" Number 384
(the last one built by John Baker)

Seal 22 MK3 "Morveren" Number 384
(the last one built by John Baker)

David Bamber
2011-03-03T15:46:48Z
On the subject of mooring in tight spaces - I used to keep Sea Lady in Mill Rythe Channel, Hayling Island. At hw the channel is 50' across (navigable water depth) and current can be quite significant.

While sailing single handed i would go past the buoy and come onto the buoy (being pushed by the current) sideways. Obviously being sideways onto the channel I avoided running aground but I had to be quick if I missed the buoy to avoid hitting the next boat dow!

I ran back and forth along the side deck and used a line on a pole to capture the buoy.

I hope this helps.

regards

David Bamber

David Bamber
David Bamber