AntonyGifford
2010-11-29T19:52:11Z
We have had an offer accepted on a SS26. It does not have a Spinnaker or much gear for one. Can somebody tell me roughly what size sail I would be looking for, the only mention i can find is that they are 560 sq ft (which sounds very large to me), and an idea of a normal pole length?

Thanks,

Antony

Jon Foreman
2010-12-02T17:15:34Z
Hi Antony,

I think the details you’re after should be given in the technical handbook which is available from the association, if you are getting a Super Seal it's a worthwhile purchase.

I can’t find mine at the moment to confirm the numbers below but in other notes I have the following dimensions:

Spinnaker pole length - 10’ 6”

Spinnaker luff (SL) – 32’ 4”

Spinnaker max width (SMW) – 19’

Unfortunatly no area.

Hope this helps

Jon Foreman

Calypso SS26, no.96

Jon Foreman

Calypso SS26, no.96

AntonyGifford
2010-12-03T11:13:38Z
Jon,

Thanks for that, I did realise afterwards that the answer was probably in the book. I will certainly join as soon as the purchase is confirmed.

The luff lengths are what i was after. I think that the mast must be taller than i realised, a second-hand Dragon spinnaker is going to be a little on the short side with a 7m luff length. At least it will help us home from a picnic better than nothing, we are some way from racing or wanting to buy brand new sails for her.

If you see a Seal on the Orwell, in Suffolk, next summer with a spinnaker flying rather high that is probably us!

Antony

JohnG
2010-12-14T21:33:59Z
Hi Antony,

I have 2 spinnakers on Evangeline. On is quite big and only used for cruising as I get penalised heavily with it under the Poole Harbour Handicap System. The other spinnaker is from a J24 but with a 0.5m high panel added in the middle. This is a really good size and can be used even in quite strong winds. Like Dragons, J24's are competitive one designs where people buy new sails pretty regularly so there are often good secondhand ones to be had for very reasonable money.

regards

John Guess

SS26 Evangeline

John Guess

SS26 Evangeline

AntonyGifford
2011-01-30T21:03:07Z
A follow up question if I may.

We now own the boat, have joined, and have a copy of the handbook. The sketch of the spinnaker set up does not make the pole downhaul arrangement very clear. Can somebody help me with where it is secured to the foredeck? Our boat has nothing obvious between the front of the mast step fitting and the big mooring cleat on the bow. There is a big forehatch, and nowhere obvious strong enough to attach the base of a downhaul system any where approximately below the mid-point of the pole.

Thanks,

Antony

Jon Foreman
2011-01-31T10:56:13Z
Antony,

On Calypso there is a ‘U’ bolt fitted on the deck just forward of the forehatch.

Jon Foreman

Calypso SS26, no.96

Jon Foreman

Calypso SS26, no.96

kate.hattersley
2011-03-06T23:36:17Z
Hi

On my 275 the pole downhaul runs to the U bolt forward of the hatch, but it is a pain because every time you move the pole up or down, back or forward you have to adjust it. I have looked at moving it to the base of the mast so it can be left unmoved if the pole swings forward or aft.

Kate

Kate