Gary
  • Gary
  • Member Topic Starter
2011-05-06T21:50:16Z
Just a quick heads up. Purchased one of these today seemed like a good buy:http://www.maplin.co.uk/solar-p...w-battery-charger-217850 

On offer until 17/05/11

Gary/Ruth/& Skipper the Working Cocker Spaniel

Crew of Juicy Blue P235

Crew of Juicy Blue P235

Pete Rigby
2011-05-07T17:39:39Z
Ref the solar chargers. I bought mine three years ago and has never failed yet. I can return to Scheherazade after long spells away, and the battery is in tip top condition. Definately a good investment.
geoff.sheddick
2011-05-10T14:52:56Z
Hello Gary, Pete,

Just had a look on Maplin's site - very interesting! and very cheap compared to all the 'marine' amorphous panels that I have seen.

Could either or both of you spare a moment to give me some more info please?

- Am I right in assuming that it is a rigid panel? It's hard to be sure from the illustration...

- What's the casing made of? plastic or metal?

- What's it like to stow? Tough enough and smooth enough to put under a berth cushion & sit on it? or fragile and with sharp bits to snag?

thanks

Geoff Sheddick

Parker 27/146 "Stroller'

Geoff Sheddick

Parker 27/146 "Stroller'

Gary
  • Gary
  • Member Topic Starter
2011-05-10T22:32:50Z
Hi Geoff,

Rigid panel quite well put together with a quality feel to it. Makers describe made of durable plastic however sit on it and it would crack like an egg me thinks even under a berth cushion! There are no snaggy bits and it has two useful holes either end for fixing it. I intend to try and secure it on top of the boom sail cover using the main halyard to give it a nice angle to the sun inbetween the lazy jacks. Stowage will be back in the bubble wrap bag it comes in and back in the box and stored up the front end focsle. I also purchased a solar controller from maplins £15.99 just in case it is so good it boils the battery...we shall see. Will post a pic of it.

Crew of Juicy Blue P235

Crew of Juicy Blue P235

Gary
  • Gary
  • Member Topic Starter
2011-05-10T22:40:50Z
Solar panel BTW I had a thread on he ybw forum you may find of interesthttp://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272583 

UserPostedImage

Here it is in place:

UserPostedImage

Crew of Juicy Blue P235[img]

Crew of Juicy Blue P235

Robby
2012-05-31T13:16:16Z
Hi,

I purchased a solar kit from Maplin, which closes up like a briefcase which makes stowing very easy and protects the important bit.

Will see if I can fit it on the stack pack like you have Gary, nice and helpful photo.

Robby

The More I learn The More I Realise How Little I know!

The More I learn The More I Realise How Little I know!