tedsansom
2011-05-16T22:00:32Z
There is a 'U' shaped bracket on top of the keel made from galvanised steel. When the keel is fully up, the pin can be inserted through the holes in the bracket to lock it in the fully raised position.
My bracket is now rusting pretty badly and needs relacement. There appears to be a single bolt, partially hidden by a roller, fixing the bracket to the keel. Has anyone tried removing this? I cannot see any reason why the bracket should not be safely removed with the boat in the water, but am I missing anything?
I don't suppose anyone has a drawing of the bracket dimensions so I could get a new one made before removing the old one?

Ted, 31-18 'Ruby'

Ted Sansom (P31/18)
Ted Sansom (P31/18)
tedsansom
2011-05-23T22:11:05Z
In the absence of any advice, I got brave and tried to undo the bolt. I was able to get a 17mm ring spanner on it, but unable to get enough purchase to shift it, (its about 10" down in the keet well, with very little room.) It was obviously put on very tightly and has benefitted from 20 years of corrossion gumming it up. The bolt is stainless, the bracket is galvanised mild steel, the keel is ??
I cannot get a socket on it because the roller is in the way. However, I have a cunning plan. It is to wait until the bracket rusts through totally (only a matter of weeks from the look of it).javascript:insertsmilie('[:)]') Althogh I will lose the use of the aft top roller I believe I should still be able to raise the keel and then should be able to get a socket on it.
Any comments anybody?
Ted

Ted Sansom (P31/18)
Ted Sansom (P31/18)
tedsansom
2011-06-12T11:54:00Z
OK, cunning plan failed.One tongue of the bracket rusted through and I got nervous that the other one would fail, and jam the keel. Cutting a long story short, the bracket also has a tongue down the rear or the keel, with more bolts in it. The only way it can be removed is with the boat out the water, the wing removed and the rest of the keel raised.
Not actually too bad a job once you bite the bullet.
Ruby is all sorted now with a new A4 stainless bracket.

Ted Sansom (P31/18)
Ted Sansom (P31/18)