kcharm
2011-06-06T11:17:49Z
I think I have the only Super Seal in Australia. I think the original name is Sentinel. The boat has been out of the water for a number of years and has just been relaunched. I have sorted out most of the systems but I need assistance with setting up the lifting of the centerboard as I have never seen this type of arrangement[?]
Geoff Harwood
2011-06-06T12:20:54Z
We didn't know there were any Super Seals in Australia! Welcome!

Sail number 60 was called Sentinel of Ta'Oora and sold to a J. Knott in Dubai so might be yours. I wonder how she got from Dubai to Oz? Does yours have a sail number?

We do a Technical Manual for the Super Seal which includes John Baker's original explanation of how the keel is supposed to be rigged. See the regalia section and contact Di Drew.

Geoff Harwood Tech Librarian

Ken Surplice
2011-06-07T22:14:11Z
G'day! It's good to learn that we have a Super Seal in Australia. I hope you will be pleased with her performance. In which city are you located? Maybe one of our members will drop in to say hello one day.

Concerning the keel lifting, there are a few different rigs in use on this class. In addition to trying the technical handbook, it would probably help to send over some pictures of what you have. I can ask other members to supply photos of their keel arrangements. Please start the ball rolling and let's see how we can help you.

Cheers!

Ken Surplice

Commodore

Ken
kcharm
2011-06-09T03:18:02Z
Hi, Thank you for the response to my Super Seal in Australia topic. We have the sail number and it is 60, I now have a name for the boat. Sentinel of Ta'Oora is in Brisbane at the moment while the it is readied for a trip up the coast to Bundaberg.

The recent history of the boat is that it was imported arround 15 years ago and has sat on a cradle in a driveway in Canberra until I purchased it 3 weeks ago and had it trucked to Brisbane.

Sentinel is now back in the water and should have the mast stepped and be sailing very soon.I will send photo's

I will arrange to purchase the Technical Manual for the Super Seal, this will answer a lot of questions.

Cheers,

Keith Charman (Very Proud Super Seal Owner)

Spiller
2012-01-03T07:17:03Z
Mystery solved ? Four Super Seals were brought to Dubai in about 1980. Their names were linked Antar (legendary Arab warrior/poet), Zeta (his horse), Scimitar (his sword) and Sentinel (his guard).

Antar (my boat) and Zeta are still in Dubai, based at Dubai Offshore Sailing Club while Scimitar is in Kuwait. Sentinel had "dropped off the chart" until I read your posts, so mystery solved.

Interestingly, Antar, Zeta and Scimitar all have fixed keels and I would have assumed that Sentinel was the same???

Antar

Antar