Nigel Holl
2011-06-13T21:39:07Z
Having launched over the weekend for the first time (Largs - Scotland), and made what I hope are run of the mill new owner mistakes - dropping tools overboard, pulling the starter rope handle off - first pull (after a service - perhaps not my fault?) etc etc, I now have two questions that I'm sure some-one can answer!

1) Sprayhood. the one inherited, is saggy (I knew that), but also proved more of a hindrence in heavy rain than a help! The tired state of material meant a constant run of water direct into the hatch ..... Has anyone purchased a new sprayhood recently for a P21 .... any guidnace on supplier, design, cost?

2) My outboard) once the starter rope was recovered from inside) is a Yamaha 6. It is missing the cable to connect to the deck mounted (near the cockpit locker) point to enable charging off the battery. Amazingly a Yamaha dealer struggled to identofy such cable from the on-line Yamaha parts catalogue ..... anyone experienced purchasing such a part, and can advise on a dealer who knew their stuff? I appreciate there could be a miriade of outboards in use .... but worth a try!?

Help and assistance appreciated.

Nigel Holl

Geoff Harwood
2011-06-14T17:20:42Z
I bought a replacement sprayhood (the original had rotten stitching and much black mould) I was a bit surprised to find it cost £500 made to fit the original frame. It keeps the rain off the washboards and hatch but I fold it down for sailing because it gets in the way of seeing where I'm going.

My outboard is a Mercury and the charging cable came with the alternator kit so probably not the same as your Yam

Geoff Harwood ex P21/30 Cygnus

Robert Young
2011-06-18T00:19:18Z
If you are just wanting some cover for mooring i can recommend Tarpaulins direct. A choice of rectangular sheets with fixing holes approx £45 that lasts about two years. Man on phone recommended the middle price product but by draping along boom protects Windows from rain as well as Hatch and most of Cockpit (from stupid Ducks waddling.)Apologies if this not what you meant. Kept in Car Boot whilst sailing .
Nigel Holl
2011-06-21T13:04:08Z
Thank you both for your responses ....... a bit horrified at the potential cost of a new sprayhood, but we'll see how we do! The weather such as it is right now ..... its a necessary not a luxury item!

Best wishes,

Nigel Holl