Candanski
2012-07-02T17:39:58Z
Also... I am currently in the market for an outboard for my Avon inflatable. I thought I should also consider it as a potential back up to the main engine in the event of failure. What size would be the best compromise. Does anyone have one already and if so how do you get around the height of the aft cabin.

Regards
David

Mike Edwards
2012-07-03T07:50:22Z
On a flat calm misty day I once tried powering Aztec with my dingy and 2 hp outboard. After what seemed a long time it was actually moving the boat at nearly 1.5 kn. I think you would need a very long shaft outboard of at least 4hp on a large bracket mounted to the transom of the boat to seriously consider this as an alternative form of propulsion in a calm sea. Maybe for re-entering your berth, but then you may have problems controlling the motor for the final approach.
When I tried this on Aztec I had the motor on the dinghy and the dinghy was tied alongside aft of the mid ship part of the boat. This works in flat calm water and enables a crew member to control the outboard. Steering was done using the boats rudder with occasional help from turning the outboard.
Mike

Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
Candanski
2012-07-03T23:35:44Z
I was thinking around 4-5hp it would be comforting to think I had something to let me limp home just in case. Using the dinghy itself is a good workaround just to get back, or out of trouble.
Neil Sinclair
2012-07-18T20:04:05Z
Seagull 40 plus? They have a fine pitch prop and can push large craft quite well.

Neil

Neil Sinclair
Seal 28/27
'Andiamo of Exe'
Neil Sinclair
Seal 28/27
'Andiamo of Exe'