rcw
  • rcw
  • Member Topic Starter
2012-11-25T10:52:02Z
The time has come to perform annual maintenance on Minimosh, my newly acquired Seal 28.

She's still fitted with the original washboards which seem to be varnished on the inside and waxed on the outside. Does anyone have any advice to offer as to the best treatment to ensure longevity and appearance? Is stripping back and varnishing of both sides a good idea?

Thanks for any advice.

Richard
Mike Edwards
2012-11-25T13:40:55Z
Hi Richard
If you think the wash boards are coated in wax then it is going to be essential to remove all traces of the wax before applying any other coating. What wax product would have been used, I am not aware of any.
I stripped, sanded and recoated my washboards about 7 seasons ago and the aft cabin (faces south in the sun) now needs redoing. The main companion way boards are still pretty good, (they face north so do not get direct sun on the mooring).
I used Ronseal Outdoor Varnish, it is not stained but has extra additives which help block out the UV rays. You need to stir it well to mix the additives. It has lasted well for me, and levels well to give a very good gloss finish.
I will always use it again.
(no connection with Ronseal) [:)]
Mike

Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
rcw
  • rcw
  • Member Topic Starter
2012-12-11T07:39:19Z
Mike,

Many thanks and sorry for the belated reply. I'll try to identify the precise product used to coat the boards but I think I'll work towards a varnish coat as you describe early in the New Year.

Richard