MikeB
  • MikeB
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2014-06-26T10:48:45Z
We are shortly heading West from the Solent in our 235 and contemplating a rounding of Portland Bill. Only thing is that it then seems a very long way to (and back from) the nearest decent port, especially in a relatively small boat. However Lyme Regis and Bridport are within 20 miles of the Bill. Does anyone have any experience of using either ?
Mike Ball
P235 No 36 "Juicy Blue"
Tim Reeder
2014-06-27T09:38:06Z
Hi Mike

I used Lyme Regis many years ago when you had to work your way into the harbour, which was quite crowded. Having said that I left the boat (a 17 ft Skipper) there for a week on the harbour wall, which was fine.

There are now pontoons outside the harbour and behind a breakwater which would be OK unless v rough.

Bridport is difficult with any strongish south westerly.

I would recommend Lyme Regis unless there is a strong south westerly forecast where you would be running into a lee shore.

Hope this helps.

Tim
GeoffTurner
2014-06-27T10:31:24Z
Hi Mike

I too have been into Lyme Regis a few times, usually using a visitors buoy, or the walk-ashore pontoon. The harbour's usually pretty full! We have a member there - look in the handbook for P21 no 46.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could consider Axmouth - definitely one where local knowledge is necessary, so look in the handbook for P21 no 57.

I've also been into Teignmouth, which I liked, and was pretty straightforward.

One I haven't tried is the River Otter at Budleigh Salterton - see here! 

One tip when heading NW from Portland using the inner passage - go west for at least a mile from the Bill before heading NW, otherwise you'll hit the southerly stream along Chesil Beach.
Ken Surplice
2014-07-06T21:37:55Z
Hi Mike, I hope all goes well. We first headed west past the Bill in our P21 on an association rally. Keep in very close as you go round and there will be no drama. We have stayed in Lyme Regis inside and out. Small is good when you are looking for a space. Inside is very secure and the harbour bed is very pleasant. You can enjoy a stroll when the tide is out. If it is flat calm, the outside moorings are ok, otherwise a little rolly but not disastrous. Cheers-Ken
Ken
MikeB
  • MikeB
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2014-07-17T22:31:38Z
Well, having rounded the Bill, we ended up in Dartmouth, even though we started off aiming at Brixham. We had a very pleasant stop on the Lyme pontoon on the way back. I would only use it in fine weather though and particularly avoid any wind that was not from the west or north. The inner harbour looked good for a Parker in any weather, space permitting.
Mike Ball
P235 No 36 "Juicy Blue"