Anthonygray
2016-10-18T20:15:20Z
Hi
Could anyone tell me whether the Parker 21 bonded coachroof windows were heat pre formed or just pulled to the shape of the coachroof and held in place with the screws until the adhesive set?
Cheers
Anthony
Geoff Harwood
2016-10-23T08:47:05Z
Its a very gentle curve and the Perspex can take it without any heat treatment. Be careful not to tighten the screws too much as the threads are a bit delicate. Lots of mine had been tightened too much and needed replacing with the next size up.
Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2016-10-23T10:34:08Z
Hi
I have just refitted the windows in a 325 , not the perspex type but glass in aluminium frames but in the past I have wrestled with the perspex on my 31, both these required bending of the windows to meet the roof profile, even the glass !!
I take it that when you refer to the windows being bonded you have been trying to separate the silicone sealant from the coachroof. Parkers did seem to like their silicones and used it to cover a multitude of sins but there is a school of thought that this is not the way to go for window sealing as it hardens in time and does not allow for slight movement between the perspex (or aluminium come to that) and the glassfibre of the coachroof. I would suggest you look at the Eagle Boat windows website hints and consider their approach with a non setting mastic, a lot of our local club members swear by it.

Jan
325/32
Blue Moon
Anthonygray
2016-10-23T11:34:22Z
Hi Geoff and Jan,

Thank you both for your comments. I had thought that the perspex could take it, but my father put a doubt in my mind so thank you for the confirmation.

Jan,
I have read the window article and will be going down the mastic route.

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to get the perspex window from, is the collective wisdom to post the old window to someone like Houdini or Eagle so that they can template it and post the new one back?

Best regards
Anthony
Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2016-10-23T17:02:11Z
Hi Anthony
Hi Anthony obviously the easiest route would be to let someone like Eagle make a new window. There is no reason why you shouldn't make one up yourself but to get a good job is quite involved , first jigsaw or bandsaw the shape slightly oversize, then abrade smooth and finally scrape all around the edge to finish it off. And all that without scratching the viewing area.There seems to be plenty of window grade perspex available via the net.

Jan
325/32
Blue Moon