PeterDann
2017-01-03T17:37:20Z
Happy New Year all!

My annual Boat Show Present to myself really ought to be something as dull but essential as a working tiller pilot. My current one (an Autohelm now Raymarine ST2000) has begun to wander and gives up altogether in anything over 10 knots. The nice man in Cowes gave it a lobotomy but with only short term effect.

I notice the recommended maximum displacement (fully loaded) for an ST1000 is 3,500kg which should accommodate a SS26 even once you have filled it with beer and tools, so I wondered if this was the weapon of choice for the fleet? Or do ST1000 owners wish they had paid the £100 extra for the beefier ST2000?

ANy advice/experience gratefully received.

Thanks

Peter

Peter Dann

Blue Moon 325/32

Ken Surplice
2017-01-04T21:41:10Z
Hi Peter. I had an ST1000 on our P275. It worked fine for ages. It then failed on a trip to the Channel Islands and I bought an ST2000 in Guernsey, as this was all they had in stock, rather than hold the tiller for 12 hours on the return leg. The ST1000 was later easily repaired and I now happily alternate between the two. The only noticeable difference is in sound rather than performance, in my experience. The ST2000, as you will know, always sounds smooth when it is working. Other forums suggest that both models are susceptible to water ingress. I now have an inexpensive canvas sleeve cover that attaches with a Velcro strap and keeps the unit dry even when it rains. Search eBay and you'll find these sleeves. From memory, I don't recall a clear preference for any make or model amongst other members. Hopefully they'll chip in and share their experience. Cheers! Ken
Ken
PeterDann
2017-01-06T12:49:18Z
Thanks Ken. I also have the canvas sleeve and agree with you how useful it is - that's the only bit that is still doing its job!
Peter Dann

Blue Moon 325/32