Pat Morgan
2018-08-08T19:48:18Z
The main hydraulic pipe on my boat (P31 Phun) burst recently. Fortunately the keel was held up by the pin and the failure happened when I lifted the keel to take the pin out. So the keel did not have any distance to fall. I don't like to think of the damage which could be caused if the keel was to fall all the way to the bottom!

The failure happened where the pipe goes through the bulkhead from the big locker to under the galley locker. After taking out the failed pipe I checked the hole in the bulkhead which the pipe goes through. The surface was very sharp with prickly bits of fibreglass and the pipe did not have anything to protect it. Before inserting the new pipe I filed away the spiky bits and put a good sleeve of plastic hose round the pipe where it goes through the bulkhead.

I suggest that other P31 owners climb down into the big locker and take a look for wear on the hydraulic pipe at that spot.
Pennyw
2020-04-08T07:24:45Z
Hallo Pat

On your suggestion Pat ,we have checked the hydraulic cable on Pegasus and discovered it it was on its last legs.
Upsons boat yard has replaced the cable and checked Sula, also a Parker31 ( ashore for the winter next to our boat )She also had the same problem and now we have both been sorted with new cables
Very many thanks to you Pat

Pennyw
2020-04-08T07:24:47Z
Hallo Pat

On your suggestion Pat ,we have checked the hydraulic cable on Pegasus and discovered it it was on its last legs.
Upsons boat yard has replaced the cable and checked Sula, also a Parker31 ( ashore for the winter next to our boat )She also had the same problem and now we have both been sorted with new cables
Very many thanks to you Pat