bazthomas
2021-04-28T21:23:55Z
My Parker 21 has this finish on the hull and I am not sure if it requires any treatment before I re-launch or indeed if it is still effective on a 30 year old boat. There is no documentation on re-treatment so it would be helpful to hear of other owners experience with this material, whether it can be re-treated or if antifouling is now required.
Thanks.
Barry
GeoffTurner
2021-04-30T14:17:42Z
I'd be amazed if the Copperclad is still effective after 30 years! But it depends where you keep the boat - I find I only need to antifoul every 2 years, on a drying mooring in Pembrokeshire.

So you could try without antifoul, and if it gets dirty, just dry out and give it a scrub, then antifoul next year.
Chris Turner
2021-05-02T07:58:17Z
I agree. It would be surprising if it still worked after 30 years. My 26 had Crystic Copperclad on it from new in 1982. I had to scrub it every few months right from the beginning. Bill Parker advised me to abrade it lightly but regularly with fine wet and dry.
I got fed up and have antifouled it ever since.
Ken Surplice
2021-05-08T08:37:57Z
When I purchased my 21, despite running a PEX orbital sander over the copper covering prior to launch, at the end of the season it looked like a thousand old latex gloves had been stuck to the hull. Realising that the copper had eroded to the point of being ineffective, I switch to eroding anti foul paint. It was quick and easy to apply and worked well. There’s no need to paint the rudder as it spends most of its time out of the water.
Ken
RobPierce
2021-05-10T11:32:19Z
I have Parker 21 Wave number 98, the penultimate boat. she is 20 odd years old. I too have questioned the life of Coppercoat and thought I might share my experience. Last season was short but for 7 weeks my boat was in Pwllheli marina, I had not ant-fouled and had decided to see how the coppercoat performed. I was very please to find on launch up a simple pressure wash left the boat clean. I will be launching end of may this year andmooring in Abersoch taking her out early September. I have decided not to anti-foul again. We shall see if stays reasonably clean however I have the advantage of a nice sandy beach to dry her out on for a scrub should the hull get too heavily fouled.
coppercoat 1.jpg

Click to View Image22 View(s)

Cppercoat 2.jpg

Click to View Image23 View(s)

bazthomas
2021-05-20T20:15:16Z
Thanks eveyrone for the input. I'm in Christchurch which is a tidal river that doesn't foul too heavily so I will wait and see.
I'll follow up when she's been in for a while.
Barry
Martin Watson
2021-05-29T07:18:54Z
My P27 had Crystic Copperclad when iI bought it 8 years back when it would have been 24 years old. `it was completely useless at that stage. I applied Coppercoat over it and have been reasonably pleased with it ever since, and it sure saves a lot of hassle not re-apply antifoul each season. Applied it myself in a day and it cost about £650 at that time. Will be more now because the price of copper has gone through the roof.
Martin Watson
Martin Watson
2021-05-29T07:26:23Z
Originally Posted by: RobPierce 

I have Parker 21 Wave number 98, the penultimate boat. she is 20 odd years old. I too have questioned the life of Coppercoat and thought I might share my experience. Last season was short but for 7 weeks my boat was in Pwllheli marina, I had not ant-fouled and had decided to see how the coppercoat performed. I was very please to find on launch up a simple pressure wash left the boat clean. I will be launching end of may this year andmooring in Abersoch taking her out early September. I have decided not to anti-foul again. We shall see if stays reasonably clean however I have the advantage of a nice sandy beach to dry her out on for a scrub should the hull get too heavily fouled.

coppercoat 1.jpg

Click to View Image22 View(s)

Cppercoat 2.jpg

Click to View Image23 View(s)

Crystic Copperclad and Coppercoat should not be confused with each other. The former was what Bill parker used and is applied in the mould before layup. it is a much harder coating and therefore natural self ablation is much less which means it is not so effective. CopperCoat, a proprietary brand is a soft waterbased epoxy with copper granules in suspension and is much softer so self ablation is easier. (it's also much thicker) They have boats in the Med that were treated 27 years ago and the coating is still working.

Martin Watson