paulr
  • paulr
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2020-08-24T17:15:24Z
think I saw a post here about access to ryde getting more tricky - photo below copied from discussion on ybw.com forum - certainly looks like quite a bar built up

https://scontent-lhr8-1....6ea6b83b&oe=5F692E3B 

paulr
  • paulr
2020-11-05T17:01:34Z
latest update from ryde hm is that sand bar has been dredged BUT recent winds have resulted in sand build up on east wall - not an issue if using the mid harbour pontoons
paulr
  • paulr
2021-05-01T16:49:33Z
hi all - please could one of our rvyc members update us on ryde entrance and harbour now sailing is allowed again - has it been dredged ? thanks
Ken Surplice
2021-05-08T08:45:14Z
According to the practical boat owner forum, dredging has been completed.

Here’s an update from late April
Q: Any update for the 2021 season? What are the chances for 1.4 metre draft on a spring tide which would also coincide with a lunchtime stop?
A: They‘ve done a lot of clearing of the sand at LW with a digger, so I’d say pretty good, AFAIAA more or less normal entrance now. It’s a regular cycle ride of mine. If you were thinking of a peaceful walk E to Appley, don’t. its a civil engineering work fest due to a sinkhole and main Ryde sewer.

See post 32
https://forums.ybw.com/i...silting-up.554492/page-2 
Ken
Hilary Martin
2021-05-08T11:25:32Z
Ryde Harbour entrance was dredged over the winter but has apparently silted up AGAIN since I last checked on 6 March 2021 according to an RVYC member who is a berth holder (I spoke to him yesterday evening). I will try to go over tomorrow and take photos.

At Newport, the £370,000 dredging project is underway and will be carried out over the next two months. On my way back from LESA's haulout at Odessa Boatyard yesterday, I had to dodge the scoop. I will try to get information on the extent of the dredging but heard that the pontoons will be moved at some point.

Hilary
LESA
Hilary Martin
SS26 LESA 33
Martin Watson
2021-05-08T21:05:42Z
Jack Wheeler, the son of the owner of Dell Quay Yacht Yard where I have my boat hauled out, keeps his Mirage 28, 'Special K' at Ryde yacht Harbour, he sent me some photos taken a week or so back, it has badly silted up the entrance again and the advise is to keep well over to the right on entry and then close to the isolated pile that used to support the furthest end of the the first pontoon (leave it on your starboard side).

I would post the pictures on here, but cannot seem to find a way to do it, the paper clip/image boxes don't work and cause a critical error message on the website. If anyone knows how to post pictures, please let me know and I will do so. (drag and drop doesn't; work either)

As an additional point, I initially thought Shawn had left and we would have to deal with the ex traffic warden as Harbour Master, but Shawn will be back soon. He took a few months break to do some ambulance driving I believe. Big sigh of relief when I heard he is coming back.
Martin Watson
Hilary Martin
2021-05-14T08:41:56Z
Hi Martin
I posted a video and photos of Ryde Harbour which I took on 9 May on the SEAL sail WhatsApp so I think a lot of members will have seen these.
Hilary

Hilary Martin
SS26 LESA 33