PaulJ
  • PaulJ
  • Newbie Topic Starter
2022-06-12T19:16:34Z
I am trying to figure out how to stabilise the mast and spinnaker pole on my newly acquired 235. Am I right in thinking that both the mast and pole need side stays to stop them falling sideways? The pole doesn't seem to be too much of a problem, but where an earth does one fix 'baby' side stays to the mast? I am thinking of riveting a small fitting to the mast, about 2m. up and then sorting ropes to the stanchion eyes, but didn't want to start drilling the mast without asking if there was a better way.

All advice accepted gratefully. Thanks in advance.

Paul.
PaulJ
  • PaulJ
  • Newbie Topic Starter
2022-06-13T18:07:20Z
OK, further to my query above, it appears that if you are careful, the mast does not need stabilising lines, as long as the gin pole/spinnaker pole is tied down well through the jib sheet sliders. As I discovered the hard way though, you do have to be really careful that the pole is centered and the lines are tight, but it does work, as the rest of you will already know, no doubt.

Any hints and tips are gratefully received though.
Lili235
2022-06-21T09:39:43Z
Hi Paul - do you mean when sailing or when raising/lowering the mast?
PaulJ
  • PaulJ
  • Newbie Topic Starter
2022-06-24T14:54:33Z
Oh no, not when sailing, Just getting the mast up whilst on the trailer. However, it seems as long as the gin pole is stabilised with the two side wires, down through the Genoa cars, and on to the clutches, it will hold the mast straight on its way up.