martynchate
2022-06-14T19:33:34Z
Hi all,

My names Martyn SS26 Ceres

I am looking at getting a new Spinnaker as I have just torn mine and is very old now

Does anyone know what the actual size of the Spinnaker should please. Also size of a crusing chute if I decide to get one too.

Many thanks in advanced for any help.

Martyn
Rupert Snow
2022-06-18T16:34:44Z
Originally Posted by: martynchate 

Hi all,

My names Martyn SS26 Ceres

I am looking at getting a new Spinnaker as I have just torn mine and is very old now

Does anyone know what the actual size of the Spinnaker should please. Also size of a crusing chute if I decide to get one too.

Many thanks in advanced for any help.

Martyn

Hi Martyn, I hope you get an answer or two here as I’d be interested (Spartacus 285 70). I presently use a kite from a 707 which feels a little small. I’d also be interested in the recommended dimensions for a cruising code zero type as the weather locally seems to be all-or-nothing at the moment.
PeterL
2022-06-21T10:40:42Z
The handbook gives figures for the Parker built 27 as follows :

Tri Radial spinnaker = 605 F.S.
Cruising Chute = 435 F.S.

There are quite a few detailed differences in design between the culmination of the 27 and the 26 so the earlier spinnakers may have varied somewhat,as did the mainsail area which Baker gave as 156 F.S. and Parker 172 F.S.
Martin Watson
2022-07-06T09:24:22Z
I have just had a new spinnaker made by Kemps for my Parker 27 which is 605 sq ft and that matches the dimensions that Dick Batt would have used if he had made it for me (but could not get it done in time for the Round The Island Race last week) Dick Batt also made my cruising chute for me two years back and I believe that is 435 sq. ft. Dick Batt's prices are very reasonable and he is a Squib sailor and Seal owner (or was) so is familiar with Parker boats. If you decide to get him to make you a sail, just tell him you want it ASAP as his time management is shocking, but his work is good and his prices very reasonable eg. £900 for spinnaker as against £1350 from Kemps! He also made me a new hi-tech genoa this year in Dimensions Cruising Carbon Fibre cloth, which is awesome and although smaller at 135% than my original 150% cruising Dacron (Bainbridge) sail is actually a quicker sail for my boat and I can carry it in higher wind strengths, up to 19Knots apparent when hard on the wind, before needing to reef whereas the old sail I needed to reef the main at 17 knots apparent.
Martin Watson