STUART SILCOCK
2022-07-20T09:16:56Z
My Parker 325 (Uncle Ronnie) is now 25 years old. The down button for the keel position indicator keeps failing and will only occasionally work with hard pressure at the top. Having looked at and WD 40'd the back, I guess the contacts are rusting up/wearing out, but the button appears to be a sealed unit.

I see that this indicator and buttons were originally supplied by Datatek Ltd. in West Sussex but this company doesn't appear to exist any more.

Has anyone else had this problem please and worked out how to solve it or does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement button or whole unit of the same size/specification please?

Thanks,

Stuart Silcock.

johniow
2022-07-22T15:09:55Z
Hello Stuart, I and Peter Dann have also been looking at lift-keel related problems. Sadly, not yours exactly.

Mr Datatek is alive and well and living in France. He can be contacted at:

à : Keith HOWLETT <datatek@wanadoo.fr>

He's guided me towards the correct potentiometer - 351-660 from Farnell. £21.68 + VAT - or equivalent; I bought from RS components

Bourns 1kΩ Rotary Potentiometer 10-Turns 1-Gang Panel Mount, 3540S-1-102L

Stock no.:522-2968

Qty:1

and hope it's the right one, as I can't free it from the pulley wheels. I'll let people know when that's done.

And finally, Keith is offering "I have 20 brand new bare PCB's for the head unit if you are interested."

By which time we should be able to offer a full 325/335 lift-keel maintenance manual. Apart from the up-down buttons.

Incidentally, since the PCBs are the only non-OEM item as far as I know, are there any other 325/335 owners, willing to sign up for the job let?

Best Regards,

John Clack

Nosey - Parker 325-26
DirkB
2022-07-23T19:59:53Z
Hi john,

As a new owner of a Parker 335 Surprise, hull nr 45, I'm certainly interested. The keel positioning system of Surprise does work, though the LED's are barely visible in bright daylight anymore. Besides the rubber form the UP button starts to tear at the bottom. So, I'm in.

Note: does this include the box with the LED's?

Best regard,

Dirk Bakkeren

Netherlands

STUART SILCOCK
2022-07-26T08:34:53Z
Many thanks Peter,

I will contact Mr Datatek and let you know how I get on.

Regards,

Stuart.

johniow
2022-07-26T09:59:38Z
Hi Dirk,

Good to hear from you. I'll ask the question about the LEDs, but I suspect not. I'll ask about the whole helm keel position indicator, but I suspect that it is fairly standard off the peg components, for example the rubber boots for the up/down buttons. I've not taken the keel position indicator apart (unlike the box in the keel case) so I have no idea what's inside.

I'l start a new topic - 325 keel indicator system.

Best Regards,

John

Nosey - Parker 325-26
DirkB
2022-08-23T12:46:53Z
I contacted Keith Howlett and bought a new PCB from him. I received it last week. I also bought exact the same project box on internet (from the UK). Of course I have to drill the holes for the LED’s and fit the PCB with isolating electric grade silicon glue as indicated by Keith.

However, I noticed the instrument pod on the steering pedestal has some serious cracks so I ordered another one from the UK. I will replace it all at once.

claeyssens
2022-08-24T20:55:09Z
Hello

I have the same problem on my 325. The keel indicator does not work. So I am very interested by your research. I suppose all the system must be changed on my boat.

Best regards

Pascal Claeyssens

Maruli P325/27 France

STUART SILCOCK
2022-08-29T14:16:02Z
Thanks John. I received the following response from Keith Howlett:=

"The operating buttons were supplied and fitted by Parker's, nothing to do with me I'm afraid so I have no knowledge that would be helpful.

The button should certainly be replaceable.

They have no connection to the keel position indicator,only to the operating mechanism for the keel which I assume is an electric motor..

You could try looking for buttons on line, try Farnell pr RS Components.

Aeroklene switch cleaner may possibly fix the existing switch.

Sorry I can be of no further help"

I have subsequently removed the button and the two parts behind it. The part the wires connect to being the black unit EN 60 947-5-1 which I guess is a momentary switch is not working ( Meter shows no current will go through). I have currently replaced the button and separate momentary switch with a simple button that contains a momentary switch which a friend found in his workshop. (It fits but not snugly). This seems to work but now my up button has started to play up.

I have found on the internet a push button unit that looks identical to the one I have removed. it is at c.e.f.uk and is a MCG Flush Momentary INC push button RED RPB 01 Stock Code 0043-7587. However it is described as 240V rather than 12V and I intend to contact them after the bank holiday to see if they have such a unit suitable for 12V.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Stuart.

claeyssens
2022-11-22T11:00:13Z
Hi

A very cheap keel indicator can be made with a dog leash put on the roof top. The string is tied to the top of the keel and you can see how the keel is down or up with the marks on the string in front of you. The cost is 4 €! That is suitable for manies Parker boats.

Best regards

Pascal Claeyssens

P325/27

IMG_0276 (1).JPG

Click to View Image3 View(s)