DirkB
  • DirkB
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2022-08-01T15:17:12Z
My Parker 335 Surprise has a vibration while motoring at cruising speed. It may be the engine mounts that have to be replaced or the alignment of the engine and propeller shaft that has to be adjusted. This will be inspected soon by the warf in Woudsend.

In the original price list I saw engines (Yanmar 2GM20 or 3GM30) were also offered with an Aquadrive vibration reduction system. Has any of the owners of a 325/335 this option installed? If so, does it work as well as proposed? If possible I would like to see a picture of how it fits in a 325/335.

Best regards
Dirk Bakkeren
MartinH
2022-08-04T21:10:47Z
We have a 3YM20 with an Aquadrive.
I am fairly sure we have less engine vibration than boats without one, although of course it does not affect the propeller noise.
I don't have any pictures of the installation but it is straightforward with a heavy plywood mount fibreglassed in place just behind the gearbox to take the thrust bearing. With the short and stiff prop shaft fitted to the 335 it seemed like a good option.

Martin
335/50 Tringa
Mike Baldwin
2022-10-03T13:24:37Z
Dirk,

I have only just seen your various posts. I have a 335, no. 46 so very similar to yours I imagine. I only bought her 3 years ago and have spent that time doing a lot of work on the boat including pretty much everything you mention and much more. I would be pleased to help you with your questions. I am also interested in your engine vibration. Perhaps easier if we email.
Mine is:

mike.baldwin4@btinternet.com

Look forward to hearing from you.

Mike Baldwin
Shemar - Parker 335
DirkB
  • DirkB
2023-06-21T09:39:22Z
I like to share the solution to the drive train vibration. In spring I send the VariProfile propellor to the manufacturer in Germany for restoration. However its was out of the specs to be restored. For a quite a sum of Euros I now have 3-blade (in stead a 2-blade) VariProfile featering propellor and vibration is almost unnoticeable. The unbalance in the worn old propellor probably caused the stern tube to come loose. All is fixed and I’m sailing (and motoring) happily.
No wishes on the drive train? Yes, of course. I think the Yanmar 2GM20F is a fair engine, but a bit underpowered for the 335 .. in combination with this feathering propeller. I can reach 5-5.5 kts when pushing the engine.
Martin Watson
2023-06-25T11:13:34Z
Bill Parker seemed to have a 'thing' about putting more powerful engines in his boats. I changed my 1GM10 in my P27 to a second hand 2GM20 about five years back and it has been transformational, I can do 5~5.2knots @ 2000rpm and 6 knots plus at 2300rpm and in a seaway can maintain 4.2Knots against a short sea (wind against tide) whereas with the original engine it would get knocked back to 1.5knots and struggle to accelerate back to about 3 knots if I was lucky. I also have a three bladed Featherstream feathering propellor which is very smooth running. Normally if you have vibration it is is either one or more of the engine mounts collapsing (the original Yanmar mounts are very prone to this as they are open to fuel or oil contamination if you have a leaky engine.) I fitted R&D mounts instead which are a different construction with a shroud over the top which protects them from oil/fuel contamination, they are also a quarter of the price of the Yanmars!.( be aware that the rating of the front and rear mounts are normally different). The other thing is a worn cutless bearing. If you can get to the prop when it is dried out there should be no more than a slight bit of movement when trying to wiggle the prop shaft (about 0.5mm or less) When you get to replace the cutlets bearing, you should be aware of an inner half length cutless bearing in the inside end of the propellor log, immediately behind the shaft seal and which if it has not been changed since the boat was first built, will be very worn and allow the shaft to 'slap' a bit unless you still have an old style greaser type shaft seal which will provide support at the inner end.
Martin Watson
DirkB
  • DirkB
2023-09-21T13:05:50Z
Thank for your answer Martin. The engine mount have been replaced last winter. The yard wanted only to warrant real Yanmar mounts, so these have been placed. The cutlas bearing was then checked and still found to good. After replacing the propellor for a new three blade VariProfile propellor nearly all vibrations are gone.