barry.tiernan
2022-09-23T16:55:05Z
Hi

I am thinking of changing my Yanmar 2GM20F for a new engine. I would like a more powerful one. Has anyone changed an engine on a Parker 325/335

Options seem to be new 20 HP or 30 HP Yanmar
Or 25 HP Beta

All seem larger than the original engine and I am not sure would fit in existing space
Also weight of new engines is 30 Kilos more

Anyone use Beta or any advice

Regards

Barry Tiernan
Sulito

2022-09-24T07:59:19Z
I changed Tilikum’s engine a while ago for a Yanmar 3GM 30. The original engine was fine but when the boat is loaded with gear and you are trying to get home in worsening conditions it is handy to have a bit more oomph as I am sure you have found.
I had the companionway steps moved forward a few inches to accommodate it but I was told later that if you dispense with the Aquadrive anti-vibration coupling (which is less critical as the 3 cylinder is smoother running) that you can squeeze it in without alterations.
I am very pleased with it although others have installed the Beta engine which again I understand works well.

Jonathan Houston
325 Tilikum
BillPeach
2022-09-24T08:14:32Z
I replaced my yammer with a Beta 25 about 2 seasons ago

The engine is fine, a bit cheaper than Jonathan’s but less oomph, although I have reverted to the original fixed prop, so maybe folding would be better

No mods required to companionway as it just fits and position of impeller and oil filler better than yanmar

Bill Peach
Kakandia p325
Bill Peach
'Kalandia' Parker 325
Moored: Lymington River
philip linsell
2022-09-25T08:33:08Z
Barry
My 26 was fitted with a Beta 14 when I purchased, now approaching 20 years old with about 1,100 hours running. I would strongly recommend the make, it has never missed a beat and apart from an upgrade on the drive belt and a replacement ignition switch (ordered by phone at 3.00pm Friday, delivered 1st post the next morning) has required nothing more than routine maintenance.
The 25 would appear the one, only 3kg more than the 3YM20 and much less then the 3TM30. The 30 is another 26kg more than the 25, seems a lot.
Philip
rascal
claeyssens
2022-09-26T10:48:14Z
Hi
I have a Volvo engine 30 Hp since 2000 on my 325 Maruli. The first German owner had changed the original 18 Hp by this one. I could send some Photos if you want.
Best regards
Pascal Claeyssens
PeterDann
2022-09-28T16:54:48Z
Barry

I replaced Blue Moon's original 2GM20 (I assume same as yours) with a 3YM20 last summer. It's 21HP vs the original's 16HP (I think) so a deal more oomph and much smoother with the extra cylinder. It also fits directly onto the old mountings but the dipstick is more accessible, no need for that annoying hatch in the aft cabin.

Happy to send you more details/photos if you wish.

Peter
Peter Dann
Blue Moon 325/32
claeyssens
2022-10-17T08:19:51Z
Hi every body
As I promised you, I send some photos of the Volvo Engine. The type is MD 2030Band is a 28 HP. This one was put on board in 1997.I suppose you could find one in a second hand. I hope you can see the photos
Best regards
IMG_0269.JPG

Click to View Image0 View(s)

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

barry.tiernan
2022-10-17T09:13:06Z
Hi All

Thank to everyone for their help and agvice in a choice ofnew engine. To Bill and Jonathan turning up on a wet rainy day in Lymington to show me what they had done. It is quite a science getting the balance between engine size, gearbox ratio, prop size and pitch, need a degree in science.

I have decided to go with a Beta 25 and will keep you posted on the outcome (sometime next summer)

I have to say the standard of Bill's electrical work puts the behing the panel spaggetti mess of my wiring to shame

It would be great to have Bill do an article and pictures of what he did, 1st class work. The electrical syatem in Yachs unfortunately was never boatbuilder's strong point.

Again Thank to all for the good advice

Barry "Sulito"