MikeB
  • MikeB
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2014-07-17T22:49:50Z
I lifted the engine out of my 235 yesterday and was horrified to see that the forward bottom flange of the aluminium channel in which the engine sits had torn away from the base over nearly half the length of the fitting. I suspect it might have failed completely in the not too distant future resulting in potentially unwelcome reliance on sail power.

Has anyone else had this problem ? I would strongly recommend a check.

I'm exploring the option of replacing with stainless steel. In the meantime the boat is out of action.

I have a 6hp Mariner engine.

Mike Ball

P235 No 36 "Juicy Blue"

Silkkn
2022-09-11T07:20:55Z
Hi Mike,

Apologies for this extremely late question but I have just discovered the same problem on both of my engine mount channels.

I was wondering how you managed to access (if at all!) the port side fixing nuts and if this was not possible how you ended up fixing the rail. I would also be interested to know if you did opt for a stainless steel replacement,

Many Thanks

Richard

Silkkin 235/59

Peter Scrivens
2022-09-26T20:55:57Z
This has occured on a few boats, I spoke to Bill Parker at the time, and he was very surprised. I assume that a length of the aluminium extrusion must have had a fault as it has only affected a few boats. The fixings can be accessed from the rear berth on the Starboard side but it is not possible to reach the ones on the Port side. So I cut an aperture under the fuel tank and fitted an inspection hatch (276 x 376 from Force 4). I had a couple of S/Steel channels folded up by a local fabricator and fitted these.

This was a job I didn't expect to have to do, but I must say that I have had the boat from new in 2005 and whilst annoying, touch wood, this is the only problem I have had with an otherwise super boat.

Peter

Silkkn
2022-10-02T15:14:58Z
Hi Peter,

Just to update, managed to replace both engine mounts with like aluminium channel and did manage to access port side mountings (or rather my wife did !) Reused existing allen key bolts and washers but used new nyloc nuts. My Wife did, however, have to cut away some polystyrene on the port side inner,

Cheers

Richard

Silkkin 235/59

PaulJ
2023-03-12T08:49:26Z
I have the same problem on my 2006 235. As the damage hasn't extended by more than around 6", to save a bigger job, I have cut a couple of pieces of hardwood to slide down and wedge in behind the channel and lightly bond in. This I hope will take the pressure exerted by the motor and dissipate it into the surrounding fibreglass. Time will tell?

Paul.

johniow
2023-04-13T08:48:08Z
Hmm. Having replaced my Yanmar 2GM16 I've seen the engine and Aquadrive (essentially a universal joint) mountings. They were very lightly glassed in and the Aquadrive was showing sigs of breaking away. I now have a completely new stainless steel mounting for the Aquadrive.
Nosey - Parker 325-26