Sandwort
2022-10-28T21:18:06Z
We are exploring the possibility of adding an anchor windlass and are keen to find out how others have managed to fit one to allow sufficient drop for the chain.
Mike Baldwin
2022-10-29T21:20:08Z
I have an electric windlass in the anchor locker, mounted on a plinth. Even though it is on a plinth, and the locker lid just closes onto the windlass, the locker is not deep enough to allow for sufficient drop of chain. You need to sweep the chain forward into the well as it comes up to avoid the windlass jamming on the chain. The only way round it is to somehow mount it on the deck but even then I do not think the drop in height will be sufficient to negate sweeping it.

Mike

Shemar

Parker 335/46

chris nichols
2022-10-30T17:25:34Z
Hi,

I cannot help with a 325 install but can refer you to my post of 4yrs ago when I fitted a lewmar electric winch to our 27. This necessitated constructing and fitting a second chain locker directly below the original and cutting a hole between the two which the chain could drop vertically.

I also mounted the vertical axis winch on a peninsular so the originla cqr could still be fitted in the top locker. The locker door had a small dome fitted in the middle over the winch so the door could shut.

The pictures are still available under the Parker 27/275 section

This was one of the b est mods done - we now anchor and recover with ease and havnt used a marina since!

best of luck

Chris

PeterDann
2022-11-01T16:02:59Z
Originally Posted by: Mike Baldwin 

I have an electric windlass in the anchor locker, mounted on a plinth. Even though it is on a plinth, and the locker lid just closes onto the windlass, the locker is not deep enough to allow for sufficient drop of chain. You need to sweep the chain forward into the well as it comes up to avoid the windlass jamming on the chain. The only way round it is to somehow mount it on the deck but even then I do not think the drop in height will be sufficient to negate sweeping it.

Mike

Shemar

Parker 335/46

Mike is absolutely right, I have a deck-mounted windlass (a Quick GP2-500) which just fits so that the you can open the chain locker hatch in front and get the chain into the locker ahead of the bulkhead at the back. It's very tight indeed, and you do have to sweep the chain forward in the locker as the anchor comes up or you get an unholy jam of chain and some expensive-sounding noises from the windlass.

Peter Dann

Blue Moon 325/32

Sandwort
2022-11-02T08:27:35Z
Many thanks for your responses. I'll let you know know if we come up with any alternative solutions. Anne
barry.tiernan
2022-11-09T10:46:32Z
Hi

I fitted a Lewmar Pro1000 this January

I also improved some of the electrics at the same time as when I checked the power to the Hydraulic Ram there was no fuse or circuit breaker in place. Yacht wiring leaves a lot to be desired. Wiring a windlass has to be correct.

I will take pictures and do an article this week and put it on modifications

A windlass is well worth having ( especially as I was the one pulling up the anchor)

Quite an interesting project

Bary Tiernan "Sulito"

barry.tiernan
2022-11-12T12:37:07Z
Hi

A few have asked for details and photos of the electric windlass on the 325

I have sent the details and photos to Bill peach and he will put the article on the Modification Section of the web site

I hope this helps

Regards

Barry Tiernan "Sulito"

claeyssens
2022-11-22T11:22:36Z
Hi

I send a photo. My anchor windlass is a Lewmar one. I put it inside the locker 6 years ago by myself and it is usefull. When I lift the anchor, I must stop some seconds to push the chain a little forward with a stick. But it isn't a real problem. The electrical wires go to the battery which is under the double bunk in the front cabin. This battery works also for the bow thruster and the keel lifting. When the anchor windlass is working , the boat engine must be started.

Best regards

Pascal Claeyssens

P325/27

IMG_0273.JPG

Click to View Image2 View(s)

PeterDann
2022-11-28T18:01:05Z
Barry, apologies if you have already posted this somewhere, but can I ask what rating of fuse you put into your ram motor circuit? I am planning to follow this sound advice this winter.

Thanks

Peter

Peter Dann

Blue Moon 325/32

barry.tiernan
2022-11-29T18:40:05Z
Hi Peter

I used a 200amp circuit breaker for the ram. Hope this helps

Regards

Barry

DirkB
2023-04-18T20:09:40Z
I think the previous owner of Surprise had a (manual) windlass on deck, but later moved it into the anchor locker. The traces of the original mount are still visible in the deck. I haven’t yet used the anchor or the windlass.