Groucho
2024-03-01T21:54:21Z
I need to replace the Forestay on my 275 and am told the old Rotostay furler may well be troublesome to remove without breaking parts which now could not be replaced. I would be interested in forum members’ experience with newer systems E.g. harken, furlex, profurl and what to look out for when selecting a new system.
Mike Baldwin
2024-03-03T00:03:46Z
I have just been through this process with my 335. My research suggested Harken was best, but very expensive unless you chose their Ocean model. I decided to go with Furlex which is the same price as the Ocean model but I felt better quality. It includes a forestay as well.

I didn't really consider Facnor and profurl as not many companies sell it in the UK. I don't know why, but it put me off.

I was put off Plastimo by my rigger because he said it doesn't last long.

Mike

Groucho
2024-03-03T09:32:32Z
You may have dodged a bullet with the Harken. They have a very good reputation, of course, but my brother fitted one to his Dufour 36 and it has been nothing but trouble. May just be the way it was fitted, of course but that's one of the reasons I am nervous about getting the right system for the boat.
Phill
2024-03-04T19:18:07Z
I replaced the forestay on Flamingo last winter and the Rotostay furler came apart and went back together remarkably easily, so it may be worth giving it a go unless you have your heart set on a new furler. My furler had not been disassembled in over a decade, and following a thorough clean and re-grease it now works better than ever. If you are able to unscrew the foil from the drum the rest is very simple. I'm happy to advise if you decide to go for it.

Phill