PeterDann
2024-05-13T18:43:26Z
Evening all.

My keel is becoming a constant source of woe. Last year it developed a sort of judder as it came to the bottom of its travel, which I have ignored for want of a simple solution. Now, having been left pinned up in a marina all winter for the first time in my ownership (but not for the boat) it has developed a squeak which is more of a squeal. Very high pitched, and quite intermittent, but doesn't sound happy. I had hoped there was just something caught that would free or lubricate itself, but I've worked it up and down a few times with little improvement. I have moved the keel every time I visited the boat (4-6 weeks) and the ram was professionally serviced a year ago.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can see the top roller is well greased and seems to be rotating. I read in the owner's manual advice to grease the bottom front slider, but how on earth you're supposed to do that is anyone's guess - unless someone wiser than me knows?

As it happens the boat is coming out for a scrub tomorrow so I will wander around with a tin of grease and see if any lightbulbs go off in my head. If not I will just go sailing and hope it sorts itself out with a clean hull. If not, the West Coast is a lot kinder to a fixed keel than Chichester Harbour!

Peter Dann

Blue Moon 325/32

Mike Baldwin
2024-05-13T20:53:27Z
I used to pack the front roller of my 285 with grease from underneath when in the cradle. I also smeared grease on the leading edge of the keel and then moved it up and down a few times. I was never sure that it did much good so I have not done this for the last 5 years with Shemar; and anyway, the front roller is less visible than with the 285. Then there is the theory that grease attracts sand and grit and does more harm than good.

With the ram serviced and full of oil it's not the ram. I think it's the rollers or the side pieces. I spray freshwater down mine a lot when washing the deck. I shouldn't worry too much, maybe with use it will lubricate itself and stop squealing.

Mike

PeterDann
2024-05-13T21:13:17Z
Thanks for the encouragement Mike. I'm all for the wait-and-see approach and no fan of grease for the reasons you mention. Perhaps an industial quantity of McLube on the leading edge would be a more modern solution. Or - as you say - lots of fresh water and lots of sailing. Fingers crossed!
Peter Dann

Blue Moon 325/32

PeterDann
2024-05-14T10:53:43Z
Totally false alarm and apologies for cluttering up the forum. A jolly Scouser with a pressure washer intended for wind farm boats followed by a tub of Duckham's finest and a can of PTFE, just to tick both traditional and contemporary boxes, and the squealing is a distant memory. Sadly the pressure washer did for the antifouling on any stainless steel too, but out of sight/earshot is now out of mind.

In my defence there was an extraordinary amount of filth pouring out of the keelbox, which just goes to show what a winter afloat in a historic dock can do.

Spirits restored. Now for some sailing! (Next week, actually).

Peter Dann

Blue Moon 325/32

Mike Baldwin
2024-05-14T19:21:40Z
Pleased for you. Don't forget to continue your blog!
johniow
2024-06-06T08:33:26Z
Sorry I missed this Peter, but glad you're on your way again and writing those entertaining blogs.

Just a word of caution on blasting out the keel box though. My ram is covered in Densotape and Denso grease. See Densotape 

It's what people like Wightlink use. My boatyard was happily jet washing away when I realised that they were now washing all the grease out of my Densotape. I quickly stopped them!

Cheers, John

Nosey - Parker 325-26
PeterDann
2024-06-06T09:17:02Z
Thanks for the warning John! I too have Denso'd the ram but since it is inside the keel I reckoned it was safe enough to blast up the keel from the outside. I try to make a habit of sticking a fresh water hose through the top of the keel box once in a while; I don't know if it does any good but it makes me feel better for the priceless gear below...
Peter Dann

Blue Moon 325/32