David Ellis
2009-03-25T21:24:38Z
I recently bought a P21 and I am due to launch it for the first time in April. The boat yard has concluded that the existing outboard is beyond repair so I will need to buy a new one urgently. Can anyone offer advice on appropriate size/make/propeller types that work well for this boat? The previous engine was a 9.9hp Yamaha which is rather more powerful than the 4-5 hp recommended in the manual. Are there any makes that are known not to fit the mount provided or that lead to other obvious difficulties? I am assuming I should go for short rather than long shaft as the mooring dries out, although the manual suggests either would be OK. Any comments would be gratefully received.

David Ellis

David Ellis
PaulBurton
2009-03-26T07:40:18Z
I put a Tohatsu 5hp saildrive in mine. The 6hp is the same engine so if you want a bit more power it will fit. I did find it quite noisy. I also had a long shaft. The saildrive versions gives you rectified charging and a high thrust prop, but these are fitted by the dealer when doing the PDi.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

Geoff Harwood
2009-03-26T17:29:07Z
If you have a "breakback" trailer you'll want a short-shaft motor. They're great in that you don't have to get the trailer wheels wet when launching but the boat does go in at a steeper angle than the "float-off" type and there would be a risk of scraping the skeg on the slip.

Mine had a Mariner 5 2-stroke when I got it and the previous owner had modified the mount to get it to fit. It's critical that the leg goes down the hole without touching at the front and that the back of the motor doesn't rub on the back of the well. When I changed to a Mercury 5 4-stroke I had to make another new mount! I've also got a "sail" prop with big Mickey-Mouse ear blades which pushes well. Snags are that it catches weed and ropes etc and you can't easily get it up and down through the hole with the prop on - a disadvantage if you race to the published yardstick.

Geoff Harwood Cygnus P21/30

Chris B
2009-04-03T16:30:45Z
I also have a Tohatsu saildrive(high thrust prop and charging unit) long shaft but mine's a 6hp. It does push quite well head to wind (better if motor sailing) and in those conditions the long shaft keeps the prop underwater. If you sail in these conditions, dont go for anything less