franck
2009-05-19T10:49:22Z
I am thinking about buying a parker 31. Wondering if owners have experienced many problems while frequently drying out on the keel i.e. wear and tear, water ingress etc... also any tips on things to watch out for while buying a parker 31 would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Franck
redshank
2013-01-28T21:07:50Z
hallo Franck

did you get any information?m if so would like to have a copy because i am considering a parker 31

daviddraper09@mypostoffice.co.uk

Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2013-02-05T10:55:58Z
Hello Frank and David

Surprised you have not already received replies.

We owned 31/27 (Muffin)for a couple of years and for some of that time she was was on a drying mooring and I believe she still is .

We experienced no problems with the keel, the daggerboard design(all Parkers are the same in this respect) will not allow any water or mud into the boat unlike some of the competition.

Only problem we have with water was ingress around the mast and through the mast as it is a keel stepped mast.

Around the mast we solved with self vulcanising tape for a gasket, then we were left with the water coming down inside the mast from the halyard openings. This we solved by creating a plug of builders polyurethan foam inside the mast just up to the lowest halyard outlet, this made sure rain coming down the mast ran out of the halyard outlet rather than down into the toilet compartment.

When we bought her it was an impulse as she was very untidy internally as she had been left wet for months and all the headlnings had fallen, so we need a project.

For purchasing I would check on engine cold starting and keel mechanism , both electric and manual modes. Other than that probably better to contact some of the owners who have had the 31's a lot longer than I did

Hope this is some help.

Jan

325/32