ARRussell
2009-06-01T20:37:20Z
Can anyone advise on how to fix things to the interior mouldings, keel box and headlining on the P235? How thick are they? Is it alright simply to screw in self-tappers? Examples include fitting a VHF radio under the side deck, fitting curtain tracks, mounting a fire blanket and towel hooks to the sides of the keel box.

Rather a dull question I know, but I thought it might be worth asking before making holes!

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Graham Ebb
2009-06-03T00:16:49Z
Hi Anthony,
Welcome to the forum.

The thickness of the head lining is about 2mm and there is a very small gap behind it in most places of about 3mm. Having said that, it is quite strong enough to fix curtain rails etc. You will need to cut the screws to the exact length and pre drill the holes and self tapping screws will be OK. The bulkhead at the port side of the companion way has a similar arrangement but has a gap of about 8mm. Be careful drilling here because the cables from the log/depth etc run inside. You should be able to mount the VHF under the side deck, but again watch for the cables concealed behind the bottom edge of the head lining.

The keel box has a similar lining over it, which can also be drilled in a similar way but there is less gap behind.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz
ARRussell
2009-06-03T20:43:40Z
Thank you, Graham. If there's a gap then screwing through into the structure behind would risk pinching the lining back into the gap and cracking it if the screws were over-tightened. I suppose screwing into the 2mm lining will be sufficient, though it doesn't seem very substantial - especially for supporting a radio at sea.

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Graham Ebb
2009-06-04T15:08:32Z
I think you will find that the lining will be strong enough to support the things you need to fix. I would advise against screwing through into the structure. You will find that the lining is quite stiff in the area you plan to fix your VHF, and should work ok.

Just a thought, have you considered mounting your VHF on a swing out bracket on the port side bulkhead. This allows you to use your VHF when inside the cabin and when you pivot it to show through the companion way, you can hear it from outside. I can steer and use my VHF at the same time. I have also mounted my hand held GPS on the same bracket, so I can programme stuff in when inside and use the rolling road when sailing. It works a treat.

Regards
Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz
ARRussell
2009-06-05T18:22:08Z
That's a good idea! Where did you get the bracket?

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Graham Ebb
2009-06-08T23:17:54Z
Just made it out of softwood. It is a bit basic but works ok.
I made a square pad to screw into the bulkhead lining. Then I used some 2" x 1" softwood to make the arm. It is made in two pieces with a bolt through them and a circle of plastic between for lubrication. Tightening the bolt adjusts the amount of friction on the pivot.

Sorry, dont have any pictures.

It is a bit crude but works. My long term plan is to make it out of aluminium box section, but I have not got round to it yet. It is on the winter job list again !

Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz
2009-06-18T12:39:16Z
Hi Anthony

I had a GPS mounted in the cockpit the first year I had Exodus but it was a nuisance as it needed removing each night, and was unadjustable for sun reflection, and when inside in rain or at night you couldn't monitor depth, drift or whatever.

So I made a swivel which works really well. I rumaged around and found an old speaker bracket, cut and painted a bit of wood and hey presto, a swivel mounting! I was able to slip a piece of timber behind the fixing screws between the inner and outer skin so the load is spread.

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

When sailing it simply swivels round so can be seen from anywhere in the cockpit. And it stays dry in rain! A real win win win situation! Hope this helps!

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
ARRussell
2009-06-20T21:12:34Z
Thanks to both of you. Interesting that you were able to get some wood behind the lining, Stephen - I'll see if I can do the same.

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche