ARRussell
2009-06-01T20:48:30Z
Sea Wyche has no chart table (though the perspex washboard serves up to a point). I gather it was an option and would I be right in thinking that it just allows the saloon table to be mounted on the bulkhead? How is that done, please?

Also, is there some pre-existing modification for mounting the table in the cockpit? (For eating and drinking this time, not navigating!)

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Graham Ebb
2009-06-03T00:42:10Z
Antony,

You are correct in that the chart table was on the options list.
There has been a few variations with regards these. The most often method used was to mount the salon table top at an angle in the corner in front of the fuse board. This was done by using some purpose made wooden brackets on three sides with the outer corner being supported by a piece of line to the bulkhead. This was all removable to use the table for dining. However, some customers had a separate purpose made chart table, mounted in the same way but made of matching veneer.
Before you get to carried away, you should note that to accommodate the chart table in this position, the port side back rest is made to stop about 500mm short of the bulkhead, there by allowing room for the chart table when fitted. It will not fit with the standard full length backrest.
Personally I did not bother with the chart table, I just use the salon table.

The salon table mounts on a stainless steel post which can be fitted into the floor of the cockpit as well as the salon. There should be a suitable socket in the GRP cockpit sole. Unfortunately being moulded in GRP as part of the sole, it tends to chip the gel coat around the edge of the hole when you take out the steel post.
The post Parker's use is a standard fitting found in many caravans etc, but is a bit high compared to the seating height, so we had ours shortened by about 75mm last year and it is much more comfortable to use now.

Regards
Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz
ARRussell
2009-06-03T21:16:02Z
Again, thank you Graham - and for staying up late to answer my questions. You have confirmed something for me: my boat doesn't have the socket in the cockpit sole for the table leg. As she's no. 002, I suspect that's one of several differences from later boats. I've picked up on some of them on this forum. It appears there might have been more than one revision of the engine mounting (and an extended rudder stock to clear the raised engine). I'll be coming to that one as I intend to swap a long-shaft outboard for a short-shaft so that I can raise it and fit the hull fairing.

Another difference is in the cockpit locker. Mine has a large 'dead' space aft of the main locker space, which is only accessible by entering head first and sliding along (which is relatively easy but reversing back out isn't!). I noticed in the photos of Arawa's engine box that she has a locker lid in the aft end of the port cockpit seat, which is right where I need one to access the dead space. She seems to have a space that's open to the cockpit instead of an enclosed locker underneath. Is that the 'normal' arrangement and is my boat a one-off?

Another disadvantage of Sea Wyche's cockpit locker arrangement is that the dead space extends aft of the engine well and joins up with the locker behind the double bunk. I wonder whether that was an oversight, since it means we get petrol smells in the cabin. I intend to seal it off.

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Graham Ebb
2009-06-04T14:58:49Z
The design of minor modifications is an ongoing process with Parker boats. There is a close relationship between the builder and the users, and the result is that improvements from customer feed back are incorporated into the designs when appropriate. This is one of the benefits of buying a Parker boat. There are various options regarding cockpit lockers, which included fuel locker with or without lid etc. We have the version with the open fuel tank locker and a cockpit locker lid forward. The space inside goes all the way back to the stern of the boat. To prevent stuff getting lost I have clued in a panel to fill the gap.

With regards the salon table, you could screw down an aluminium base like the one inside, onto the cockpit floor, as long as you don't consider it a trip hazard.

Regards

Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz