Dennis
2009-08-07T11:16:23Z
I have just bought my Seal 28 and am trying to improve the sails and running rigging set up. I am new to sailing, this is my first boat, and I would welcome some advice on a couple of things:

1. The top guardrails at the bow are led down to the bottom of the pulpit rather than the top. I am told that this has been done to allow the foresail, which is very low in the foot, to unfurl without chafing over the guardrail, especially when close hauled. However, it compromises the protection provided by the guardrails at the bow and I am concerned about safety. I have been advised by a rigger that the best thing to do would be to have the luff of the foresail cut back by a foot or so, which would shorten it, allowing the foot to be raised up the furling foil, so that it could pass more easily over a top guardrail, and that this reduction in sail area would make little difference to performance. has anyone else had this problem?

2. I would like to introduce single line reefing and lead reefing lines,halyards etc back to the cockpit. Has anyone else done this, and what problems did they encounter? In particular, how and where did they mount the pulley blocks/deck organisers/clutches etc?

Dennis Sewell

Saphena Minor

Mike Edwards
2009-08-07T19:05:57Z
Dennis

Don't worry about the sail draping over the rail you see a lot of boats where this happens.

I have used D shackles with smooth screw heads so they don't catch on the sail.

Although if you do not intend to go racing, raising the foot would improve visibility.

I have arranged for all lines to come back to the cockpit on Aztec, there is a drawing of the arrangement on the Internet at the bottom of the page.

see http://www.swatchway.pwp.blueyo...k/aztec-photos/aztec.htm 

I dont think I have any photos but you can come and see how I achieved it if you want, Aztec is in Canvey, Essex. if you cant make it to Essex I could always take some photos.

I am off now for a weeks cruise on the east coast.

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Neil Sinclair
2009-08-10T21:11:03Z
I have found that my Seal 28 goes quite well with the 100% working jib. The area is much less than the genoa so gentle breeze performance is reduced, especially down wind, but I find the smaller headsail much more convenient. As you have noticed, it does not interfere with the guard rails, and the sail is cut high, so you can see forwards much more easily. Moving about and working on the foredeck is easier. When the breeze pipes up you are equipped with the correct size sail, too! Now I think of it, the genoa on Andiamo hasn't been out of its bag yet, this season. Your plan to take some material from the foot of the genoa is probably a good one, but check first, in case a short strop introduced at the sail's tack will allow it to be hoisted a little higher up the luff spar and save you the expense of modifying the sail. Cheers! Neil

Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'

Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'

Dennis
2009-08-13T17:48:14Z
Mike,

Thanks for the advice and the drawing, both of which are helpful. I have re-done the guardrails so that they attach to the top of the pulpit, and will now try sailing with the genoa unaltered to see if it works well without alteration. If it doesn't I will talk to the sailmaker about altering the luff or foot to improve matters. I will use your drawing as the basis for leading my lines back to the cockpit and, if I get stuck, I will take you up on the offer to come and see Aztec.

Dennis Sewell

Seal 28 'Saphena Minor'

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Edwards

Dennis

Don't worry about the sail draping over the rail you see a lot of boats where this happens.

I have used D shackles with smooth screw heads so they don't catch on the sail.

Although if you do not intend to go racing, raising the foot would improve visibility.

I have arranged for all lines to come back to the cockpit on Aztec, there is a drawing of the arrangement on the Internet at the bottom of the page.

see http://www.swatchway.pwp.blueyo...k/aztec-photos/aztec.htm 

I dont think I have any photos but you can come and see how I achieved it if you want, Aztec is in Canvey, Essex. if you cant make it to Essex I could always take some photos.

I am off now for a weeks cruise on the east coast.

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Dennis
2009-08-13T18:17:40Z
Neil,

Thank you for this. When you use the working jib, do you attach it to the furling foil or to another stay? On Saphena, there is an inner forestay that is normally secured to the toe rail out of the way of the genoa, but can be shackled to a point in the anchor well for use with a jib. I confess I haven't yet taken the jib out of its bag to check the size, but I think it is a storm jib. If so, it will be too small for your solution, but I will have a look.

I have checked the possibility of adding a strop to the tack of the foresail to lift it higher, but the luff already reaches the top of the luff spar so, if it proves necessary to raise the foot, I think it will have to be by taking a piece off the sail (whether it should best come off the luff, the foot or the leech, will make for an interesting discussion with the sailmaker. Annoyingly, I have just renewed the UV protection strips). This sailing business is not as simple as I thought!

Dennis Sewell

Seal 28 'Saphena Minor'

quote:
Originally posted by Neil Sinclair

I have found that my Seal 28 goes quite well with the 100% working jib. The area is much less than the genoa so gentle breeze performance is reduced, especially down wind, but I find the smaller headsail much more convenient. As you have noticed, it does not interfere with the guard rails, and the sail is cut high, so you can see forwards much more easily. Moving about and working on the foredeck is easier. When the breeze pipes up you are equipped with the correct size sail, too! Now I think of it, the genoa on Andiamo hasn't been out of its bag yet, this season. Your plan to take some material from the foot of the genoa is probably a good one, but check first, in case a short strop introduced at the sail's tack will allow it to be hoisted a little higher up the luff spar and save you the expense of modifying the sail. Cheers! Neil

Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'

Mike Edwards
2009-08-13T18:24:37Z
Dennis

I have taken some photos and I will let you know when I have posted them on my website.

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Mike Edwards
2009-08-13T18:53:26Z
Dennis

I have posted the photos on my website.

http://www.swatchway.pwp.blueyo...k/aztec-photos/aztec.htm 

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Dennis
2009-08-13T19:37:11Z
Mike,

Thanks very much; the photos are excellent and show the layout clearly. What did you use for the tubes - plastic?

Dennis Sewell

Seal 28 'Saphena Minor'

Mike Edwards
2009-08-14T08:13:33Z
Hello Dennis

No, I used stainless tube as I was worried about plastic chafing away and leaking into the ceiling space. Aligning the holes through the spray hood coaming was tricky, but was made good with thickened reinforced glass and resin mix.

Fixing the rope diverter sheaves to the coach roof was also a tricky job. There are various ways of doing this, some say bore out the hole larger then fill with epoxy filler, drill and tap. I fitted nuts and penny washers to conventional bolts. To do this I used long stiff plastic coated steel fence wire bent into a circle to fit the nut,(to form something similar to a spanner) and then superglued the nut into the bent wire and superglued the washer onto the nut. I then fished this into position under the "hole" in the coach roof where a mate put the screw in and tightened it up.

It was made easier with a home made periscope to enable me to look into the ceiling void through the aperture under the mast.

I lost one or two nuts and washers in the ceiling!

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Dennis
2009-08-14T08:57:53Z
Mike,

Not as simple as it looks then! Obviously, quite a bit of thought (and dexterity)is required!

Looking at your drawing of the layout of the lines back to the cockpit, I see that you have separate lines for each reefing tack and each reefing clew outhaul, rather than adopt a single-line reefing system. Why is that?

Dennis Sewell

Seal 28 'Saphena Minor'

Mike Edwards
2009-08-14T09:08:33Z
My approach was keep it simple - I have heard lots of tales of single line reefing jambing in the boom and costing lots to dismantle the boom to fix.

Also I just have to simply reef and adjust the tack, and then pull in the clue - less effort with only one half to do at a time.

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Neil Sinclair
2009-08-15T08:28:32Z
Dennis - I set the working jib on the Rotostay foil. I use the Rotostay for furling the sail, but prefer not to use it for reefing. The sail is a hank-on type, but I have replaced the piston hanks with 'bullet' type mainsail slides so that it fits the Rotostay luff groove. I also have an inner forestay as you describe. I use it to set a number two jib which comes in handy when the wind reaches 30 knots or so. I have never had to set the storm jib!

Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'

Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'

2009-08-31T19:15:57Z
Dennis,

could you post a foto of where and how the inner forestay is shackled in the anchor well? How did you get enough distance to the furling genoa?

Gerold

Gerold
Dennis
2009-08-31T22:32:28Z
Gerold,

I will take a photo and post it, hopefully later this week, but it may be next week before I can do it.

Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Gerold Wallenstein

Dennis,

could you post a foto of where and how the inner forestay is shackled in the anchor well? How did you get enough distance to the furling genoa?

Gerold

Dennis
2009-09-14T21:59:30Z
Gerold,

Sorry it has taken so long - I had to go back and take more photos. I now have photos showing the shackle point in the anchor well, the tensioner used to attach the inner forestay, the inner forestay stored out of the way stropped to the toe rail, and (if you can make it out)the spare forestay attachment at the masthead, just under the furler forestay. However, I can't work out how to attach them to this posting, or to a separate email to you using the forum system. Could you please email me at dennis.sewell@btinternet.com and I will reply attaching them using Outlook?

Dennis

Regards, Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Gerold Wallenstein

Dennis,

Gerold