dick101
2009-08-11T22:48:18Z
Dear Forum,
New to this forum,I had been planning to buy a secondhand Beneteau First 21.7, until I saw a Parker 235 at Rutland.The Parker seems a more practical, true trailer sailer than the Beneteau with better mast stepping arrangement, lower slung trailer and a dry-out hull form (the Beneteau needs berthing legs).
If I could find one,I would buy the Parker over a Beneteau.
The Beneteau is dubbed a 'Pocket Rocket' has good pedigree back to its First 210 and 211 earlier variants.It has almost exactly the same weight and sail area as the Parker.It is still made and appears regularly on the secondhand market.It feels more 'mass production' than the Parker. Unfortunately, Parkers aren't made any more, and are rarely on the market.
Would anybody like to comment(from experience or hearsay)on the differences between these two very similar boats. I would be very interested.
Dick Smith
ARRussell
2009-08-14T14:46:49Z
Hello Dick,

As I'm sure others will also say, the choice depends on what you want the boat for. If it's racing, day-sailing and occasionally sleeping aboard, with the emphasis on speed, the First might be suitable. But if you want a proper 'pocket cruiser', the 235 will be a much better choice. I've recently bought mine and I'm delighted with it. I've just returned from a week's cruise with my wife and two children aboard and the boat was superb - in fact, I didn't want to stop sailing and come home. I don't think we'd have been that comfortable on a First 210/21.7 - the accommodation is much more basic and less practical, with less stowage space.

I know someone who bought a First 210 last year and now regrets it. Its keel arrangement means that the trailer has to be submerged deeply to float the boat off. He paid for his yard to launch and recover the boat for him but they can't do so with a tractor. The only way is to lower the trailer in on a rope, which the yard won't do. In contrast, the 235 floats in a foot of water and, if you have a break-back trailer with rollers, it can be launched with a car without submerging the trailer axle.

In addition, he discovered that his keel-lifting mechanism is broken and the only way to come at it is to have the boat craned and propped and to lower the whole assembly out the bottom. Again, contrast that with Parker's lifting mechanism.

As you point out, the First needs beaching legs, so doesn't compare with the 235 as a proper lift-keel boat. I spent 5 nights this week drying out at anchor; the 235 sits absolutely upright and she settled so gently it was undetectable (v. good anchorage, though - just NE of Golant on the Fowey River).

For me, though, even more important than the 235's practicality and shoal-draft usefulness is her sailing performance. I don't know how it compares with the First's performance but I doubt there's a big difference. She sails beautifully and is very well balanced. She slips along in light winds very satisfyingly, responding to each puff. And she also punches to windward in a sea just like a 'proper' yacht - which, with her keel down, she is.

I'm sure the First is fun to sail - and I'd certainly like a go on one - and I think the 21.7 is a pretty boat. But is it designed for the sort of sailing you want to do? If you want to go trailer-sailing and cruising, I'm sure the 235 is a superior choice.

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Graham Ebb
2009-08-21T16:21:44Z
Hi Dick,

You have picked a good boat to compare with the 235, the 21.7 and the 235 are very closely matched when it comes to sailing, until the wind really starts to blow. Then I think that the 235 shows her true colours. I would prefer to be on a 235 in a blow than 21.7. Having done the Round the Island Race a few times, we have often competed with the 21.7, they are with out doubt good boats, but come in as second place in my opinion.
As Anthony mentions they are actually very different boats when it comes to the accommodation, head room, separate heads, galley etc. Also worth noting is the fact that the 235 engine is mounted in front of the rudder so that the wash from the prop goes over it. This makes marina manoeuvres much easier. Not sure of the arrangement on the 21.7

Regards

Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz
sleemana
2009-08-25T14:59:57Z
We looked at the Beneatau 21.7 last year as a possible boat to buy, but were put off by the generally cheap looking finish to it. The accommodation in the cabin was cramped and there is no separate heads, which was not on, as far as my wife was concerned. We did not think it was very suitable for living aboard for more than an overnight perhaps. It was also expensive for what it was.

Later we visited the Parker Boatyard, to look at the 235 and were immediately impressed. There is no comparison between them. The finish inside and out is excellent on the 235 and the accommodation including a proper heads department is much more suitable for cruising. We immediately put in an order and took delivery in April this year. We have not been disappointed. The P235 sails very well and can certainly handle the wind. It is very comfortable aboard for a few nights and it is difficult to fault. It is also much better value for money. It is a great pity that, since the demise of Parkers in June, it can now only be got second hand

Andy Sleeman
P235 no. 69, Galatea
dick101
2009-08-29T20:40:39Z
Thanks to all for thoughtful and useful replies, which crystalise my own views well.
It is clear that the 235 is the more competent and practical trailer sailer of the two. Easier to take the water, with simple mast raising and true drying-out ability.
The First is indeed fun to sail-it feels like a big fast dinghy, and its cockpit and control layout are exemplary.I've sailed one single handed, and one could almost be in a Laser.The keel-raising mechanism on the First has been refined,and if you grease it regularly, is reliable.They look terrific.
But I am looking for a trailer sailer, and I want to sail her in the Western Isles or in Brittany, as many Parker owners seem to do regularly. I'm not interested in Club racing at weekends.
So, as winter approaches,I'll keep a good look out for a Parker 235 for sale, and not a First.
Dick Smith
John Tanner
2009-09-04T12:56:54Z
I purchased a new P235 in 2005, and made my final choice between the Parker 235 and the Beneteau 210/21.7.

I certainly do not regret the decision, and I have the unusual advantage of a regular comparison! The B210 I might have purchased instead is now owned by a good friend of mine and I very regularly sail in his Beneteau boat (on Windermere incidentally).

Most of the important points have already been made - I think that the Parker is superior on almost all counts. I often sail single-handed and I certainly prefer the Parker to the Beneteau in this mode.

One point not mentioned is the O/B well. The B210/21.7 has the O/B on the transom and it is more difficult to manage than in the Parker 235's well. There is also some interference(on his boat) between the twin rudders and the O/B motor and bracket, and tight manoeuvering by steering using the motor itself is much easier, as is reaching the motor controls particularly for a geriatric like me.

John Tanner, Billy Ruffian, P235/34