Dennis
2009-09-17T16:54:47Z
I would like to take my Seal 28 up some of the local rivers, which are shallow and muddy here on the east coast, but full of interesting bird life and nature reserves. I want to dry out on the mud overnight if necessary, so that I can watch the wildlife at dusk and dawn.

Does any one have experience of drying out in a 28 on mud? Will the boat sink gently into the mud with the keel lifted and stay reasonably upright, or does it just fall over?

Presumably it would fall over on drying sand or rock unless beaching legs were deployed. I know that some owners have acquired such legs for their boats, but I haven't heard any accounts of their actual use. I would love to learn more about their effectiveness in practice, and any problems (e.g base plates stuck in the mud?) which may have arisen.

Dennis Sewell

Saphena Minor

Mike Edwards
2009-09-17T18:32:21Z
hello Dennis

Aztec lives in the mud. If the mud is soft enough you will sink in upto the bilge and the boat will then stay upright.

Most creeks on the East coast are soft enough. Normally the mud is softer towards the end of the creek and the ground gets harder near the entrance.

You may get a little mud squeeze into the rudder but the blade is normally heavy enough to drop through, give the tiller a few shakes if you have problems with the blade dropping.

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Neil Sinclair
2009-09-19T22:05:13Z
I have a drying mooring for Andiamo at the top of a Chichester harbour creek. If the wind is in the West, she settles in the mud and remains upright. If the wind is Easterly, she is blown into the main channel where the bottom is fairly hard (you can walk on it) and she lies on her bilge. I guess if you anchor somewhere that dries out, you would need to give the bottom a prod with a boathook before she touches down to ensure the mud was deep enough for the ballast keel to sink into it. From what I've seen of East coast creeks, though, I doubt this will be much of a problem!

I have a pair of those adjustable Yacht Legs for standing upright on hard sand and shingle when required. They work well, but you do need to use them with care - for instance, don't try and use them on sand if there is a strong tide running - the scour will take the sand out from under the leg and the boat will fall over! Also I have found places where there is a layer of sand over mud - one of the legs will break through and over she goes again! The Yacht Legs are doubly useful because you can have them different lengths - you can ground along the bank as well as up it. Many harbour walls also have a bank along them, but you can use the legs instead of having to lay out mast ropes and lines.

Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'

Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'

Dennis
2009-09-20T00:29:37Z
Mike and Neil,

Thanks for the information and advice. I think I'll get some legs for the boat, but it's good to know she'll sit upright on a soft surface in any case.

Dennis

Saphena Minor