brock
  • brock
  • Member Topic Starter
2009-09-23T19:10:42Z
Has anyone tried fitting a two speed winch to replace the existing single speed 8 fitting.I find raising the keel such an effort and would love to find a means of making life a little easier.The moulded base seems large enough to take one.
Many thanks,
Brock
Geoff Harwood
2009-09-24T16:38:43Z
Since I changed the blocks in the tackle to ball-bearing blocks I don't need to use the winch at all, except to unstick it if I dropped it a bit hard. Just heave-ho on the rope and up it comes. Details and pics in a couple of earlier threads on this forum.

Geoff Harwood Cygnus P21/30
brock
  • brock
  • Member Topic Starter
2009-09-25T19:14:08Z
Thanks Geoff,I missed all that info.
Ball barings are the route to go then.

Thanks a lot,

Brock
JeffKenworthy
2009-09-26T12:10:12Z
Apologies for continuing this debate. This year I changed the blocks for ball bearing ones. (The originals were Barton size 3 and the same size ball bearing blocks were straight replacements, apart from the turning block on the deck which required a bit of filing to get the screw holes to line up.)

Unfortunately, it made little difference, I still need the winch.

However, this may be the fault of the forward roller at the bottom of the keel box. Before launching, I noticed that the screws on the fitting were coming loose. I took it out and then found that the plastic roller was not turning and a flat had formed where the keel slid over it. I freed the roller but it may still not be turning because of the flat. I'll replace it over winter. Or perhaps I'm just not as strong as Geoff.

Incidentally, Parkers advised that to remove the fitting, the keel must be jacked up above the bottom of the boat, which allows the roller fitting to be removed by sliding it backwards.
brock
  • brock
  • Member Topic Starter
2009-09-28T11:12:56Z
Yesterday (what a fantastic day) I had a look at my keel system.I found that the double block is damaged so I will replace. Both blocks seem to be standard Barton blocks,I assume with ball barings. I applied a lot of wd40 oil to the triple block to free the wheels but maybe I should replace that as well.
All the blocks are size 4.
Maybe I have the same problem as Jeff but I doubt it as my boat was serviced in March by the previous owner at the Trailer Sailer centre on Hayling Island. They replaced the keel rope and I assume they checked the running of the gear.

brock
  • brock
  • Member Topic Starter
2009-09-28T17:38:46Z
I went into our chandler today and ordered two new blocks,the ball baring ones are a revalation as they are so smooth. My existing keel blocks are definately not ball baring designs.So I hope to solve the keel problem....... I will keep you posted.