Gilliane Sills
2009-12-01T22:39:21Z
We've had to take down Miss Fidget's mast this winter, and are wondering about taking the opportunity to fit a removeable inner forestay to take a storm jib. Most of the articles I can find about positioning the forestay on the mast refer to masthead rigs, so aren't relevant. So, where on the mast should the inner forestay be attached? Should we mount the deck fitting close to the base of the main forestay, or should it be further aft to keep the effort of the storm jib closer to the mast? If so, how far back is ideal?

Any advice gratefully appreciated!

Gilliane

Miss Fidget, Super Seal 26, no. 69
Delphine, Parker 275, no. 41
peter lowry
2009-12-02T12:31:26Z
Hello
I fitted an inner forestay on Cleo-i fitted it about 6 inches below the main forestay fitting
i put an eye halfway between the mooring cleat ant the stem head fitting ( i had to put a fairly thick backing plate inside with penny washers as it is a little thinner aft of the stemhead fittings.

I have used it several times although i need to try to get a little more tension on the wire in a blow, but my smaller jib has a wire luff so plenty on tension on the winch gets it quiet tight

when i am not using this i take it back about 18 inches in front of the rigging fittings on the deck on the starboard side and have an adjustable block and tackle arrangement on it

I will take some photos next time i am on board or come and have a look
I am at Southampton Sailing Club ashore at Woolston

Peter Lowry