ARRussell
2010-01-25T22:01:18Z
Can anyone advise on how the cable should be routed from a pulpit-mounted bicolour light? Looking in the anchor locker, I can't see any way of routing it through one of the bases of the pulpit, though I'd need to get the pulpit off to confirm that. On boats with a light fitted by Bill Parker, does the cable run inside the pulpit tubing? And does it exit the pulpit tubing above the deck and go through a deck gland or does it exit through one of the base flanges somehow, beside the bolt?

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Graham Ebb
2010-01-26T12:18:34Z
Hi Anthony,

You are correct about the cable route for factory fitted bi-colour nav lights on the pulpit. The cable goes inside the tube and exits just above deck level on the port side. It then just passes through a hole in the deck, sealed with mastic, and into the anchor locker. It is then clipped to the underside of the deck, passes through the bulkhead and into the forepeak etc. They did not use a deck gland and you end up with about 30mm of cable showing at the side of the pulpit stanchion.

Hope this helps

Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz
ARRussell
2010-01-26T21:20:57Z
Thanks for your help once again, Graham. I suppose waterproofing where it passes through the deck isn't crucial, since it goes into the anchor locker.

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Graham Ebb
2010-01-27T10:02:00Z
I would try to get a good seal using Sekaflex 291 or similar. The last thing you need is to allow water into the fordeck sandwich construction. I think you will be ok if you keep the hole near to the stanchion base, so it passes through the deck before the sandwich construction starts.

Regards

Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz
ARRussell
2010-01-27T22:26:40Z
I take it that means there's solid GRP at the deck edges. Do you know how wide it is? And where does the sandwich structure extend - the foredeck and side decks? The holes in the coachroof look like they're through solid GRP, though perhaps that's just where the fittings are. Do you know if there is there any sandwich structure in the coachroof?

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Graham Ebb
2010-01-28T14:14:40Z
I am not 100% sure, but I think the sandwich construction is to the fore deck and side decks. I think the coach roof is solid construction but has a separate lining underneath. There is a 2 or 3mm gap between the coach roof and the lining. The edge of the fore deck is solid but not sure how wide the solid bit is. If you can get your head inside the anchor locker and have a look, you may be able to see a change in thickness.

Regards

Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz
ARRussell
2010-01-28T21:33:10Z
That's useful to know. I'll have a good look to see if I can tell how wide the solid parts are at the deck edges. It would be good if the stanchions are all bolted through solid GRP instead of sandwich.

Thanks again for your help, Graham, especially since this forum seems to be somewhat quieter than it used to be.

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Bob
  • Bob
  • Advanced Member
2010-02-04T09:16:50Z
The stanchions are indeed bolted through solid GRP plus a 9mm ply pad in the laminate, the construction on the coach roof and side deck is a resin rich Firet/GRP sandwich not balsa.