Pete Rigby
2010-03-17T14:28:22Z
Hi all. I Finally got to launch my Sinbad (scheherazade) last year, after her 18 year absence from the water. My only problem has been trying to work out how the rudder up haul and down haul lines are situated. From memory and, looking at the pieces, bolt size compared to hole size etc, it looked straightforward. Memory serves me that the down haul is elasticated and should be attached to the leading edge of the rudder. The up haul has a 10 mil piece of cord of about 10in long attached by a large bolt to the trailing edge, then a longer length of rope running up to the tiller. So far so good, however, when i mated all the pieces together, mounted the rudder onto the transom, the elasticated down haul and up haul are now reversed. Has anyone got a set of plans that show the set up correctly.[:D]
Geoff Harwood
2010-03-19T10:07:39Z
On Zalophus, the Sinbad (287) I used to have, the uphaul was simply a line from the back of the blade through an eye on the transom to a jamcleat. It was only used to pull the blade out of the water when due to dry out.

The uphaul was pathplug chain through the holes in the lower pintle (to stop it getting chafed) to a rope through a bulls-eye on top of the back end of the tiller housing to a 3-part purchase and finally a jamcleat on the tiller. The latter hinged so it could flip up if the rudder hit anything but normally held down by a bungee. It is important to make sure the rudder blade is held firmly down to keep the helm balanced. I wouldn't have thought a bungee downhaul would have been firm enough.
DuncanHall
2010-03-20T04:39:57Z
I will take a photo of mine today or tomorrow (whather dependent) and post it.

Duncan Hall

Mañana
Pete Rigby
2010-03-20T09:41:51Z
Geoff and Duncan. Many thanks for your help. It is now looking like when I took it apart many years ago, some parts got put back together in the wrong order.[;)]