ChrisC
  • ChrisC
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2010-05-17T17:05:13Z
We are having trouble raising our main, particularly as it gets higher, and have had to resort to using the winch handle but it does apply a considerable load that may be doing damage to the sail. I don't remember this was an issue the year before last so what has changed. It is slightly easier if the backstay tensioner is released which implies (I think) that the mast bend might be the cause. Might it just be that the sliders need lubricating? Has anyone else had these problems and fixed them?

Thanks

Chris Cobb

235/48 "Tarakihi"
peter lowry
2010-05-18T09:19:31Z
Hi Chris

It may only be as simple as lubrication the slides --- use ptfe silicone spray on the slides and pulll mail up and down several times

the other thing it may be is the roller in the block at the top of the mast may be fouled or worn

Peter Lowry

John Elliott
2010-05-18T11:39:31Z
Hi Chris,

It could be as simple as too tight an outhaul. Do you slack it off before hoisting?

Alternatively if you removed the halyards for washing over the winter, it is possible they have become wound round each other inside the mast creating massive friction. I did this once on a previous boat and it caused great difficulty in hoisting the genoa. The later result was a broken halyard which snapped with a huge "bang" just off the Cork Sand. It was 14mm braid on braid so you can see how much friction can be induced!

275/30 "Cascada"
275/30 "Cascada"
ChrisC
  • ChrisC
2010-05-18T20:14:56Z
Guys,

Thanks for your comments. The slides could be a bit dry but the sheave at the top of the mast was free a few weeks ago before we launched.

We did remove the halyards this year (and last) drawing strings in to aid replacement. I thought this would avoid any tangles inside the mast but perhaps not! I guess we can check if the halyards are tight by trying to pulling them up without he sail attached but if it's tight and we suspect internal friction, how do we untangle it with the mast up on the water?! However, the sail does drop when the halyard is released but not right down without a bit of help. I must confess that I was expecting a fully battened sail to drop more rapidly - perhaps we do have a problem within the mast....

Regards

Chris Cobb

235/48 "Tarakihi"
John Elliott
2010-05-20T12:32:37Z
Chris,

If your messengers were pulled through end for end with the halyards and there was no pre-existing wrap, then its unlikely to be a tangle. However if you have had to "fish" through the mast exit hole for any of the messengers, then every chance of a tangle.

275/30 "Cascada"
275/30 "Cascada"
ChrisC
  • ChrisC
2010-05-20T23:03:48Z
John,

Thanks, but no problems with the messengers were encountered so perhaps all is not lost .....

Chris

235/48 "Tarakihi"
ChrisC
  • ChrisC
2010-06-14T17:18:34Z
Silicon spray on the lower track (as far as I could reach) and on the slides has cured the problem - sail can now be raised without recourse to the winch handle and falls under it's own weight when the halyard is released. Glad it wasn't anything more complicated!

Chris Cobb

235/48 "Tarakihi"