David Bamber
2010-05-24T19:22:11Z
I have a storm jib that came with Sea Lady. The bronze hanks are corroded and it will cost £100 to replace them. The only reason for having one that I can see is possibly to satisfy inshore sailing race rules. I do not expect to sail further than the Channel or the Scilly Isles in the foreseeable future.

Does anyone have any views as to whether such an item is likely to be needed in the areas where PSSA usually go sailing or to satisfy any race rules?

regards

David Bamber

Sea Lady

David Bamber

David Bamber
John Elliott
2010-05-25T14:23:48Z
David,

I would not go to sea without a proper storm jib. Mine has a "wraparound" luff, where the sail goes round the rolled up foresail and hanks back on to itself, with only about 3 or 4 hanks. I hoist it on the spinnaker halyard. No luff tension is needed as its supported over the whole luff length. Its made by Hyde.

Clawing off a lee shore with ones roller in tatters or disabled would be very difficult without a storm jib IMHO.

John.

275/30 "Cascada"

275/30 "Cascada"
Neil Sinclair
2010-06-24T22:12:39Z
Perhaps you could forget the storm jib if you keep an eye out for the weather but I certainly wouldn't be without my number 2 hank-on jib. I set it on a temporary forestay to an eye plate in the anchor well of my 28. It can handle 30 knots of wind and maybe more. I would think you need to be prepared for wind strengths up to this at least, if you go to sea.

You might find that the piston hanks on your storm jib will respond to a squirt of WD40 and a bit of gentle persuasion.

Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'

Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'