howardkay
2010-08-23T14:02:20Z
Hello all

New owner of Seal 22 Mk 3, Toy Yot II, in Emsworth and am looking for tips for winter cradle or stand/legs. Can't really afford a metal cradle in first year of ownership so probably going for "traditional" tree trunk option. Can anyone let me know dimensions of any you use so I can get them cut and be ready for lifting out at the start of October?

I will take any alternative options happily.

Also, is there enough stability to store with keel down or, if we store with keel up can the keel take the weight of the boat if we go against a quayside next year to antifoul it?

With a growing list of winter jobs sure I will be back to the forum soon so appreciate any help you can give.

Cheerio

Howard
Geoff Harwood
2010-08-25T09:09:02Z
There are plans for a cradle for 22/Sinbad boats in the 22 Technical Handbook available from Di Drew. If I made one from those plans I think I would make the frames out of rather thicker stuff but in principle and in detail of sections for the fore and aft bearers it should be OK.

For drying out to antifoul it would be better to dry out on a beach and let the boat fall over to do one side at a time. Makes for a much more comfortable painting position! If you dried out level against a wall you would not have a lot of headroom underneath!

Geof Harwood ex Sinbad 287
howardkay
2010-08-25T12:39:45Z
Many thanks Geoff. Will look it up.

Confess that I can't imagine my face when I voluntarily let the boat fall over on a beach but well worth having the wife standing by with a camera!
Geoff Harwood
2010-08-26T10:19:35Z
My wife was standing by when I did it and it wasn't as dramatic as you might suppose - esp if you encourage it to fall uphill
UserPostedImage
Trevor Smith
2010-09-10T10:59:24Z
I have a cradle on wheels for a Seal 22 that is available to collect for FREE. I have decided to store my boat at my club where there is no facility for cradle storage in the summer. It is old but still works. The boat is stored keel up on it so if you want to drop the keel you have to ask the yard to do it on the hoist,
Trevor
Seal 22 119
howardkay
2010-09-10T17:10:02Z
Trevor

Are you under consideration for sainthood?

Perhaps you could let me know where you are on mail(AT)howardkay.net and we can arrange things.

Many thanks

Howard