sean
  • sean
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-11-11T18:26:57Z
I know this question has been asked before but all the cutlass bearings described in other parts of the forum seem different to mine so was wondering if anyone has changed the bearing on a Parker 27, it would appear mine has just 2 recessed allen screws no bolts and no obvious way of unscrewing the bearing housing.
Before i start with taking the shaft out has anyone found a simple way of doing this job.
Any advice much appreciated.
DickG
2010-11-30T01:27:29Z
My 275 has a 1.25 inch ID fibreglass stern tube. It had a bronze shell cutlass bearing in it, with two 8mm socket grub screws to secure it. To remove it I removed the grub screws, then cut the bearing with a hack-saw blade, after which it pulled out. I replaced it with a phenolic shell bearing from Countrose [http://www.tufnol.com/tufnol/default.asp?id=113]. Once in place, I dimpled the shell with a hand brace & drill bit before loctiting in the grub screws. Not a difficult job, just time consuming to cut the old bearing.

Regards

Dick

To remove
Quote:

Originally posted by sean

I know this question has been asked before but all the cutlass bearings described in other parts of the forum seem different to mine so was wondering if anyone has changed the bearing on a Parker 27, it would appear mine has just 2 recessed allen screws no bolts and no obvious way of unscrewing the bearing housing.
Before i start with taking the shaft out has anyone found a simple way of doing this job.
Any advice much appreciated.
[/quote

Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36

Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
sean
  • sean
  • Member Topic Starter
2010-12-05T09:45:00Z
Hi Dick,
Thanks for replying, this is the way i have gone about it also, although lost heart abit when cutting through the shell so still have that bit to complete, takes alot of cutting does'nt it!.
Was dreading getting the shaft off but was pleasently surprised at how easy it was to do when i set to it.
DickG
2010-12-10T15:33:24Z
Assuming one has put the cut line close to the grub screw holes, you can use a punch through the adjacent grub screw hole to start the bearing shell folding inwards - this helps to enable the use of pliers or a Mole-grip to get hold of it and pull it out once you have bent some of the shell away from the ID of the stern tube.

Regards

Dick

quote:
Originally posted by sean

Hi Dick,
Thanks for replying, this is the way i have gone about it also, although lost heart abit when cutting through the shell so still have that bit to complete, takes alot of cutting does'nt it!.
Was dreading getting the shaft off but was pleasently surprised at how easy it was to do when i set to it.

Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36