Gary
  • Gary
  • Member Topic Starter
2011-02-10T21:13:55Z
Would I be right in thinking the slot in this locker is to take the roaming bilge pipe? I am thinking about enlarging the slot to take a screw inspection cover and perhaps utilise the space for slim fenders and perhaps better access to fixings etc. Does anyone think I would be affecting the structural integrity? the glass fibre is not very thick in this area and provided the hole was round which of course it would be I am hopeful that it would be a good addition. Can anyone see any pitfalls in the plan?
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Gary/Ruth/& Skipper the Working Cocker Spaniel
Crew of Juicy Blue P235
Crew of Juicy Blue P235
Gary
  • Gary
  • Member Topic Starter
2011-02-11T20:41:07Z
Job done!
UserPostedImage

Crew of Juicy Blue P235
Crew of Juicy Blue P235
ChrisC
2011-02-12T18:24:00Z
Gary,

Tarakihi doesn't have a slot in this locker or your wooden retaining "bar" (I like the idea). What hull number is your boat? The slot looks a bit of an issue to me - water could get into the open space below perhaps thus a watertight inspection hole might be better. Don't know what effect this would have on strength of bulkhead and hence the superstructure, probably not much but I'm no expert on these things. However, I did fit a similar hatch to the double-skinned transom of my previous (albeit larger)boat to enable me to tighten the rudder pintil fittings - it didn't seem to make any difference to the integrity.

Regards

Chris Cobb

235/48 "Tarakihi"
Gary
  • Gary
  • Member Topic Starter
2011-02-12T20:05:10Z
Hi Chris (Tarakihi),
Thank you for your reply. The retaining bar I thought would keep the tank nice and snug and I had the bits left over from fitting the Origo cooker so they came in handy. Juicy Blue is build Number 36, I still have no idea what the slot was used for and I was concerned about water ingress. The fibreglass in this area is approx 3mm thick so no real cause for concern and all things being equal (physics lesson somewhere?) a round hole is the best shape for the job. The hole has provided many advantages..storage space/access to fittings/bilge pump access. The bottom of the space which is filled with closed cell foam makes a good base for warps and they would be easily within reach. Next job is fitting the plug for the outboard charging circuit...I am thinking of fitting it in the well so it does not get trampled on.

Crew of Juicy Blue P235
Crew of Juicy Blue P235