ChrisC
  • ChrisC
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2011-03-23T21:43:25Z
We are thinking of adding to the number of control lines led back to the cockpit on Tarakihi. The main issue (apart from more clutter in the cockpit) is adding to the deck organiser. Has anyone done this on the 235? One idea is to mount a small organiser on the top of the existing using the same mounting holes, i.e. replacing a mounting bolt so that it passes through the new and the old organiser. Previous posts have noted that the nuts on the mounting fixings are hidden by the head moulding and that if a nut becomes loose it would be necessary to cut a hole in the head moulding to replace it. Another possibility might be to offset the new organiser and create new mountings into the top of the existing organiser. This idea is rather tenuous as there is only a small depth of material in the top of the existing organiser into which to tap a thread and therefore could not cope with much load - it might just be adequate for the lazy-jack lines we want to lead back though!?

Chris Cobb

235/48 "Tarakihi"
ARRussell
2011-03-25T21:52:43Z
Hello Chris,

I've had this in mind too, though I haven't done it. I don't know if it's standard but my deck organisers have an eyebolt on the top, to which I could attach a block. If yours don't have that, you could probably fit one in place of one of the retaining bolts - but that would mean finding out about the nuts...

Otherwise, I'd have thought fitting a second set of organisers on top would be the way to go. I don't know about the nuts but I hope they're bonded in place like the ones that are visible under the side decks. You'd only find out by undoing one though, unless someone else can tell us...

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Bob
  • Bob
  • Advanced Member
2011-03-26T07:59:53Z
The 6mm nuts are bonded as the side decks with gelcoat, if you are very careful you can with a good screwdriver undo and withdraw the M6x45 bolts leaving the nuts in place.
ChrisC
  • ChrisC
2011-03-27T11:10:08Z
Bob/Anthony,

Thanks for your comments - We don't have the eye bolt you mentioned so guess we will have to take the plunge and try removing a screw. The smallest size of organiser is a 2-way so at least 2 screws on each side needed and perhaps the longer replacements will have to be chosen carefully to avoid them being too long and dislodging the nuts when tightening.....

Regards

Chris Cobb

235/48 "Tarakihi"
ChrisC
  • ChrisC
2011-04-17T22:40:56Z
You win some...... We have successfully mounted 2 way organisers atop the existing using longer screws. Out of the 4 screws that needed replacing 2 came out and were replaced without having to gain access through the head moulding; one screw came out but the nut fell in when trying to replace it; 1 screw couldn't be removed without holding the nut. The job of gaining access to the nuts was not as difficult as thought - if the screw comes out, just use a long drill to go right through and this then gives a pilot hole for a hole cutter to be used to remove a portion of the head moulding. Will report on how well the new organisers work once we have done some sailing...

Chris Cobb

235/48 "Tarakihi"
ARRussell
2011-04-26T21:01:34Z
Chris,

What did you do about covering the holes in the lining?

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
ChrisC
  • ChrisC
2011-04-28T11:30:16Z
Anthony,

Good question - we haven't yet! However, had thought that we could get some plastic/rubber blanking grommets(I think we used a 29mm cutter) or a small teak-faced-ply (or plastic) plate covering both holes and held in place by self tappers. The only issue is that we have holes only on the port side, so not aesthetically pleasing.....!! The fact that we haven't yet got round to covering the holes probably means that they are rather unobtrusive.

Incidentally, the nuts holding the organiser were ny-locks(?) which may be why they become detatched easily i.e. extra pressure needed to undo or start tightening.

Regards

Chris Cobb

235/48 "Tarakihi"

Geoff Harwood
2011-04-28T16:32:29Z
As to covering the screw-holes in the lining I posted how I did it in a thread "blade jib track" with pics in the "other technical issues" forum. It's rattled down to page 3 now!

Geoff, Cygnus P21/30
ARRussell
2011-04-28T21:23:40Z
Very helpful, Geoff. I hadn't seen that thread. The key information is the 25mm blanking plugs from B&Q! The alternative that I'd assumed I'd use for the inevitable day when I have to cut through the lining is, as Chris suggested, to use a plywood strip and make it look decorative!

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche