Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2011-03-28T22:30:50Z
Hello all you experienced 325/335 owners who are laughing at my voyage of discovery, maybe you can help with my latest query.

For running rigging Blue Moon has :

2 genoa halyards

1 main halyard

1 Toppping lift

3 reefing lines

Kicking strap

Mainsheet

All led aft from the base of the mast to clutches on the coachroof.

It looks as if the previous owner flew his spinnaker from the 2nd genoa halyard but I would prefer to fly it properly from the sheave above the hounds.

If I put a halyard in for this purpose, where would I cleat it and how would the pole uphaul and downhaul run ? we have positions in the mast for all these but no free clutches or pulleys.

Jan

Mike Lockwood
2011-04-11T00:16:42Z
Jan,

Not laughing!

Lucky Devil has the following led back to clutches on the coachroof:

1 genoa halyard

1 main halyard

1 topping lift

3 reefing lines

1 kicking strap

1 spinnaker pole up

1 spinnaker halyard.

The pole down is threaded differently to a small jammer on the coachroof.

The mainsheet connects the end of the boom to the traveller in front of the wheel pedestal and does not go near the coachroof. This means it is possible (but difficult) to control the main from the wheel position.

I'm not sure why you have two genoa halyards. If you used one of these for the pole up and changed the mainsheet configuration entirely, you would be mimicking Lucky Devil's arrangement.

Good luck.

Mike Lockwood

Lucky Devil

Parker 325/35

Mike Lockwood

Lucky Devil

Parker 325/35

Stuart Tucker
2011-04-13T16:57:09Z
Hi Jan,

Similar to Mike on Lucky Devil, Pegasus has:

1 genoa / jib halyard (pulley below forestay)

1 main halyard

1 topping lift

3 reefing lines

1 kicking strap

1 spinnaker pole up

1 Spinnaker pole / cruising chute down.

1 spinnaker halyard (pulley above forestay).

I have put in additional pulleys and a clutch on the port side. All seems to work ok. My coach roof mainsheet now runs back into the cockpit.

Hope this is a help? One thing I have been thinking about is a second genoa haliyard (only thinking though.....!!!)

Hope this is a help.

Stuart

325/37

Jan
  • Jan
2011-04-14T10:19:16Z
Thankyou Mike and Stuart for your replies, very helpful.

If we want to add clutches on the coachroof as you have Stuart , is the roof solid across the area around the clutches as I don't want to try bolting through a soft structure. Also Stuart I note in a previous posting you describe bringing the mainsheet down into the cockpit without a track, this I find attractive how do you get on with it, we need to keep the cockpit as clear as possible for bodies and dogs.

This would free up one clutch plus I thought we could take the 2nd genoa halyard forward and store the end in a bag on the mast which would give us another spare clutch, enough to play spinnakers .

Jan

Stuart Tucker
2011-04-14T14:54:54Z
Jan, below is a post I made on 25 Oct 2010 in discussion with D Parsons and J Powell. They had similar thoughts.....

When I bought Pegasus (P325 no 37), I was faced with same problem. 37 was built with a coach roof track and capstan set forward in the cockpit similar to your description. The original main sheet arrangement ran forward up the boom to the mast and then down and back to a clutch on the starboard side under the spray-hood. I was unhappy with this, as I was likely to be sailing with my children / non-sailors and the thought of being behind the wheel without being able to quickly release the main concerned me. After some lengthy discussions with Bill Parker the solution was to bolt a single white fiberglass pinnacle in the shape of a horn (from a Parker 21, I believe?) on the centre of the cockpit floor with a Barton stand up cam cleat and pulley on top of it. The main-sheet still uses the coach roof pulleys and coach mounted track, but now runs aft under the boom and down to the pinnacle pulley and cleat. I can now reach the main-sheet in a hurry from the wheel without delay. System works well. Further, there are other advantages to this arrangement, most notably the fact that whilst main sail control still lives in the cockpit, the mainsheet track and dangers do not and this has saved at lot of little fingers and scraped shins over the years! Further the arrangement has been very strong too and handled all weathers and I have even notice some new high performance racing yachts using the same system! Hope this helps? Will send photo if interested.

Stuart

Pegasus No 37.

Jan
  • Jan
2011-04-15T16:32:10Z
Hello Stuart

Thanks , do you have a picture ? I assume the fitting is bolted through the cockpit floor , do you see any problems under the edges of the fitting where the wood floor will not dry out very quickly ?

Jan

325/32