Alan Needham
2011-04-01T09:23:29Z
The Anchor Chain locker on #8 does not appear to be drained at all!!
Maybe this is due to my 21 being one of the earliest, but I am sure that water gets in through the hawse pipe and will certainly be carried in by the wet anchor rope and chain.

Any help in letting me know what arrangements you have on other 21's would be appreciated, pictures would be good.
Geoff Harwood
2011-04-01T11:10:32Z
This is what I have on 21/30. Seems to work OK.
UserPostedImage
I think the "reversed scoop" thing at the bottom is a proprietery item and covers the drain hole in the bottom of the chain locker. When I got Cygnus the hawse pipe was facing forwards - I turned it round so it didn't pick up any of those big green ones that sometimes come over the front.
Alan Needham
2011-04-01T12:36:31Z
Hi Geoff Thanks for the quick response I have absolutely nothing like this - there is no drain at all. Between the forward bulkhead that holds the removable panel and the hull skin there is just a cavity that goes down to a point which can fill up with water !! I would have expected a sub-floor for the chain to coil onto which then has the locker drain just above the floor is this what you have on #30?
Terry Gates
2011-04-01T13:42:00Z
My chain locker had no drain either but I chickened out from drilling holes in the hull myself and had the yard do it. I (and Kitty) have been a lot happier since we haven't been carrying half a bucket of super saline solution around up front.

On another point I like the look of Geoff's anchor stowage. I have been trying to find a way to do something similar - waving the anchor around in different ways to see where it might fit. Did you make up the chocks yourself, Geoff, or can they be bought to fit? Does it work OK? Do lazy spinnaker lines catch at all?

Terry Gates
"Kitty" P21 No. 99
Terry Gates
"Kitty" P21 No. 99
Geoff Harwood
2011-04-01T19:20:42Z
The anchor chocks are DIY out of 15mm PVC. I only have one sheet/guy to each corner of the spinnaker so they are both too busy at all times to loop round things. I did nudge another boat once with one of the anchor horns. Luckily I had anticipated the possibility and added the plastic knobs but they didn't prevent the front chock being wrenched out of the deck. I'm more careful now!
Terry Gates
2011-04-02T21:24:43Z
Thanks Geoff. It looks like I might have to get practical!

Alan, my chain locker had no sub-floor either and I have not had one fitted. It seems to work OK with the drain hole and its cowling fitted as low down as possible. The "low down as possible" was the main reason why I didn't want to drill the hole myself. I was worried I might miss! My hawse pipe was already fitted pointing away from the bow to avoid taking in water.

Terry Gates
"Kitty" P21 No. 99
Terry Gates
"Kitty" P21 No. 99