smiffy
2011-04-07T01:21:32Z
Hi Folks,

As I am sure you know, I have a Seal22 MK3. I was wondering about leaving the outboard mounted in the well when the boat dries out, (twice a day). I am aware of the risk of getting sand and mud in the water intake ports if the outboard gets shoved deep in the ground, but is there a tendency for that to happen, or will the bottom end of the outboard stay clear of the ground?

Just seems a bit of a chore having to de-mount the outboard every time I leave the boat. I should say that she wont be on legs, as the tides are too fast to get away with that in our river.

Cheers, Ray

Seal 22 MK3 "Morveren" Number 384
(the last one built by John Baker)

Geoff Harwood
2011-04-07T15:22:59Z
When I last dried out my Sinbad (in '81!) the leg was well clear of the bottom. Maybe if you're in very soft mud the keel might sink in a bit more.
UserPostedImage
smiffy
2011-04-07T15:49:41Z
Hi Geoff,

Many thanks for getting back to me and the photo. The mooring is in sort of clean softish sand, feet sink in about 3 inches when I walk on it, so maybe I will watch her down the first time and see what happens? If it looks like being a problem, I can then take the outboard off, but judging by your photo, I think I may be alright.

Cheers, Ray.