Pete Rigby
2011-05-14T19:38:12Z
Having just re-launched Scheherazade, my Sinbad 22, I have yet again had to look long and hard at the rudder down-haul to make sure that the system used is correctly laid out. Does anyone have a photo or diagram as to how it should all be connected. I have a length of cord connected through the rudder's leading edge (this being looped), through this there is a length of elasticated cord which in turn is then connected to a long length of rope that runs up the rudder stock. Should it all run up one side of the rudder? The cord, that is connected to the leading edge of the rudder, gets trapped between the rudder and the stock when the rudder is pulled into the down position thereby cutting into the cord. Any light on this matter would be most welcome.
Geoff Harwood
2011-05-15T14:52:43Z
My Sinbad had the rudder downhaul led through holes in the lower pintle brackets to a jammer on the side of the stock. That also suffered from wear although the action of the rudder didn't actually cut through it. I replaced the bottom part of the downhaul with a length of bathplug chain which was much less liable to chafe.

Thae same would also apply to all the 22s which had the same rudder arrangement as the Sinbad.

Geoff Harwood ex S/287 Zalophus