stevesharpemail
2011-06-03T16:16:41Z
Can someone tell me the major differences between the 26 and the 27? I understand it is the same hull but with a modified deck with more headroom. Can anyone give me more specific details on the differences? also how can the length change if the hull is the same???

Are there any real advantages to buying a 27?

Many thanks

Steve

peter lowry
2011-06-04T08:36:43Z
Hi Steve

The answer to your Questions are as follows

John Baker built the Superseal 26 who sold the mould to Bill Parker who decided to increase the interior headroom by raising the topsides by 4 inches --he also changed the length size from 26 to 27 to include the rudder stock hence the extra foot in length-

There is no real difference in the two boats other than age-- people who own the superseal 26 say the original is the best( but i an bias in that remark)

They both race off the same handicap !

Advantages of a 27 is if you are taller you have a little more headroom but as a newer boat they will cost more money to buy.

If you are seriously interested in buying one of our fine craft we are holding a newcomers rally at the top of the Beaulieu River on the 23rd July ( at Timbrells Quay )

There should be several 26 and 27 available to view

I hope this gives you some insight into the 26 and 27

Peter lowry

Rear commodore

CLEO

Superseal 26 # 21

stevesharpemail
2011-06-04T10:00:55Z
Thanks Peter, thats very helpful!

I am 6ft so the 4 inches makes quite a difference to me, so a 27 seems the answer.

I am ready to buy and am looking now, if you hear of any 27 coming on the market please let me know.

07921 312262

PeterL
2012-10-31T07:52:59Z
As a prospective owner is there in fact a difference in the dues paid on SS26,which is commonly quoted as 7.92M o/a (originating in the Baker brochure) and the P27,which is commonly quoted as 8.22M o/a.

As has been explained the difference stems from the later inclusion of the rudder.

The waterline length also has significance in the standard terms for my current insurers,GJW.

Have Parker/Seal owners found the length of vessel to be scrutinised either in marinas or at insurance renewal.

PS I daresay that others have already pointed out that millimetres were a novelty in the seventies,to the extent that the Baker brochure is wildly incorrect on the LWL and the BEAM conversion.This doesn't stop one broker currently advertising the very same figures !

peter taylor
2012-10-31T12:20:23Z
Hi All, I have been interested in the comparisons between SS26 and P27 since I bought Pied Piper (P27 no 140) and have been racing it in Poole this season. I believe the biggest difference is in weight; Yachtsnet gives the SS as 5000lbs (2265kg) and the P27 as 6160 lbs (2790kg). With 100mm extra freeboard the P27 should be heavier, and I read somewhere extra ballast was incorporated in the P27. I had Piper weighed to resolve the issue, and she came in at 2794kg empty. As far as I'm concerned that settled it, the P27 is significantly heavier than the SS26.

Pete

Pete Taylor.

P27 140 Pied Piper

Pete Taylor.

P27 140 Pied Piper

geoff.sheddick
2012-10-31T15:12:04Z
Hello Peter,

As owner of P27 #146 Stroller, I read your post with avid interest, because weight can affect all sorts of parameters apart from the obvious one of performance, eg anchor size, propeller pitch, etc, so I would be very grateful if you would reply with more detail as to what you meant by "empty"?

eg just empty tanks? or stripped totally bare even of sails, covers and upholstery? or somewhere in between? (I know that Pied Piper has a 1GM10 inboard engine).

I had already guesstimated fully laden displacement of my own P27, ex crew, as 6,500lbs (2955kgs) but that is looking like an underestimate given your "empty" weight of 2794kgs!

For myself,I have always assumed that Parker's P27 brochure, which quotes displacement as 5000lbs, -

a) was probably just carried over from the Seal 26 data that he inherited from John Baker, and

b) was based on the displacement of the outboard engine model, ie without any engine, gearbox, sterngear, fuel tank, 2nd battery, etc, etc, particularly because the Inventory section of my original P27 brochure refers only to the fittings associated with the outboard engined version, and refers readers to the price list for details of the (by implication, optional extra) inboard engine, and

c) ignored the additional weight of the higher topsides.

All of the above would have been very typical of the marine industry's casual approach in those days...

Geoff Sheddick

Parker 27/146 "Stroller'

Geoff Sheddick

Parker 27/146 "Stroller'

peter taylor
2012-10-31T17:41:31Z
Hi Geoff, our local handicapping system requires dry, empty weight, so that's what it is. i.e. no fuel, no water, no anchors, no sails,no mooring ropes or fenders, but does include cushions and chart table. I'm sure of the accuracy because I used a hired, calibrated load cell on the crane at lift in. It is a significant weight difference from that of the SS26. I reckon you are correct in asserting the SS26 weight was that of the "dry" and "empty" outboard version. I race against one of those in our club fleet, and it is noticeably quicker than Piper, although that may be at least in part due to the loose nut on Piper's tiller. In light winds especially the SS26 disappears over the horizon even downwind where my lack of skill should be less of a factor.

I hope that helps..

Best Wishes,

Pete

Pete Taylor.

P27 140 Pied Piper

Pete Taylor.

P27 140 Pied Piper

geoff.sheddick
2012-10-31T18:00:49Z
Many thanks, Peter

Geoff Sheddick

Parker 27/146 "Stroller'

Geoff Sheddick

Parker 27/146 "Stroller'

Andrew
2013-06-14T09:41:36Z
Interested to dredge this topic up again.

I have a 22 and may be looking to move up the fleet.

I am told the 27 has a heavier ballast keel than the 26 which is more of a centreboard.

Is this where most of the weight is?

redshank
2013-08-22T07:37:23Z
Hi Andrew

I owned a p27 about 10 years ago. it was necessary to take the keel out to repair some damage. this was straightforward. the keel could be lifted by 2 fit blokes although 3 would be better. as far as I can remember the construction is a central core wrapped in grp. the lifting mechanism was a simple gibb winch although it could be done by hand. in my opinion the keel is a beefed up dagger board, certainly not a ballast keel.

philip linsell
2013-08-22T21:27:23Z
Hi Andrew

I have a 26.

I can carry my keel comfortably by myself, it's well under 1cwt.

With the 26 the weight is in the floor not the keel

The 26 needs to reef sooner than the 27, but yes we are quicker in light airs!

Philip