David Tilley
2011-06-21T08:03:18Z
When my superseal was converted from the original format of an outboard in the cockpit well to an inboard Yanmar, the floor of the well was sealed and the cover glassed in place. When I bought the boat the cover had started to crack and I have removed it with plans to use the space for storing 4 aptly sized fenders but when cleaning out the gunge in the bottom I have exposed problem with the floor seals leaking and water will steadily seep in as well as collecting runoff from the cockpit. I theorise that drilling a drain hole should allow the water to equalize at the waterline (as it was when an outboard was in place) but I worry about a possible venturi effect when the boat is underway and possibly taking on more water as the well fills. Any thoughts or comments are most welcome.

David Tilley
David Tilley
Chris Turner
2011-06-21T08:46:09Z
David, I replaced my outboard with inboard diesel some years ago but decided not to fill in the base of the well and to keep the removable 'plug' which fills it in. This meant a rather shorter skeg but it means that I can remove the 'plug' and clear the prop from inside the boat should I need to.So, with the 'plug' in place, I have exactly what you are proposing ... i.e. a 'leaky' well with a few small holes in it. This allows, as you say, the well to fill up to the waterline.There are absolutely no problems with this.The water moves around surprisingly little in the well when moving fast but going out as fast as it comes in by the same venturi effect.It does mean that I also have a very rapid cockpit draining system!
Chris. Elsa SS26 103
GeoffTurner
2011-06-21T08:52:52Z
On my P21, there's a drain hole in the blanking plate for the well, and it has a vent like this one underneath:
UserPostedImage

http://www.marineprepacks.com/f...s/detail.asp?line=ssvent 

Works ok!

Geoff

Parker 21 / 18 Dawn
David Tilley
2011-06-22T07:23:27Z
Thanks to Geoff for the help but I have just realised that there may be a further complication! The Anode is mounted through the "plug" of the outboard well. If threaded stud where the wire is connected is in water, will this short it out and nullify the effect?

David Tilley
David Tilley