Ray
  • Ray
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2011-08-03T21:58:53Z
The Seal 22 was originaly built with an optioal inboard engine (Not outboard in well) I beleive.

Has any one got one of these engins or know which engine was fitted or fitted an equivalent one lately.

I am considering making the change from outboard to inboard but am wondering which engines are availble and if it is cost effective

Ray
Geoff Harwood
2011-08-04T09:21:30Z
The inboard option offered by John Baker was a strange device the Watermota Shrimp. A brief description might dissuade you from trying to find a survivor!

It was a single cylinder 4-stroke which was supposed to run on "TVO" (tractor vapourising oil) much loved I believe by Fergie tractors. Members suggested that the Shrimp could be persuaded to run on 50/50 petrol/paraffin. You needed to keep a little tank of neat petrol and remember to switch back to petrol before switching off so that the carb had neat petrol for the next start because it was hard to start on the mixture.

It was air cooled so the boat interior needed to be very well ventilated to dispose of the heat.

It had no gearbox but drove a variable pitch propellor which had to be set to "neutral" before starting the engine. Since the pitch was controlled by a lever/cable system, starting the engine was always an exciting moment since it was hard to tell exactly where neutral was. Members made several ingenious indicator systems to address this problem.

A few members' suggestions are recorded in the Seal 22 technical handbook available from Di Drew.

Geoff Harwood
Tony Parker
2011-08-04T20:31:52Z
Hi Ray, I have a yanmar yse8 fitted in seal 22 Mia no 93,
not sure if it's factory fitted as there are filled holes in the
transom that may have been for an outboard. If you'd like
some photos let me know.
Allthe best Tony
geoff.sheddick
2011-08-04T21:49:11Z
Hello Ray,

I suspect that you will find that the cost and complications of an inboard engine, gearbox, shaft, propeller, controls etc, etc, are disproportionate to the value of your boat.

You might find this recent topic on the SS27/P27 section useful...
Outboard v Inboard:
http://www.parkerseal.or.../topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1325 

I don't know what you have fitted at present, and whether it is on the transom or in a well, but I had a Seal 22 a long time ago with an outboard in a well - I forget exactly what was fitted when I bought it, but I replaced it with a Longshaft 7.5hp, changed the standard propellor for the largest diameter, smallest pitch, one available, and could reach maximum hull speed at cruising rpm, and had perfectly good stopping power and reverse thrust.

If your engine is mounted on the transom, any of today's outboard manufacturers' extra long shaft "sailing yacht auxiliary" models between 6hp & 8hp will do an even better job; this is because the extra long shaft puts the propellor deeper in the water where it gets more "bite" &so can exert more thrust, whilst staying immersed when eh boat is pitching.

, whilst their exhaust systems and propellors are specifically adapted to the needs of a yacht auxilary.

Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Ray
  • Ray
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2011-08-17T00:30:32Z
Thank you for your replys.

I think on a finacial point it probebly would cost more than the boat worth.

I have had sealia out in force six going to seven in the solent and returning from chichester harbour and the propeller stayed in the water and provided 4knot (GPS) against the tide.

So I think I willl stay with it.

I will now have to check the outboard bracket again as Im not replacing the engine.

Thanks for your comment and suggestions

Ray Sealia